Author Topic: New Wicker seats  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: New Wicker seats
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 06:37:03 AM »
As I said earlier I ordered two sets of the seat which were advertised in their latest email which was sent to me. I don't now why but it took them 9 days before they even posted the seats to me but on the other hand  it only took four days for the seats to arrive.

I compared the seats to the old seats I already had on hand and to my surprise they are exactly the same, I measured across the seat with my digital calipers and they are 11.8mm, so it appears I have received old stock. Apart from that the seats are excellent and will enhance any model which require wicker seats.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 07:58:51 AM »
   I suspected the new ones were not listed yet, as the Stock Numbers were unchanged when I checked the link. I still have 3 of the original seats in my spares box so I think I'll wait until this issue is resolved. I will say they are beautifully done.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »
I'm really quite disappointed in hearing that Des as given Roy Sutherlands acceptance that they are under scale on width I would have thought that that major error would have been rectified.

If 11.8 mm is the width on the inside of the seat then that equates to just 14.9 " not exactly enough space for pilot in his U/Ps let alone some pretty thick warm clothing.

I agree they are beautifully moulded but if they ain't right then they ain't right  :-\

They are easily modified though, but of course one shouldn't need to have to do that.

Tug
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:47:35 AM by Suffolk Lad »

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 12:43:41 AM »
I have known Roy Sutherland for years. He is an accuracy demon and a painstaking modeler. Not to mention an all around good person. I figured he wasn't privy to these posts about his seat, so I let him know the current discussion and he asked me to post this reply:

"Hi guys.

I understand there is some concern over the size of our resin wicker seats.

Please understand that we do careful research when we produce our sets and take care and pride in our work.

The width of the seat seems to be the point of contention. The inside dimension measures out to just under 15", which would be a tight squeeze for a 21st century pilot, but remember that men were much shorter and less robust back in the beginning of the 20th Century.

Add to that that all cockpit components in scale models have to be compromised dimensionally to compensate for the much thicker than full scale sidewalls. You lose about two inches in actual interior space, so something has to give.Yes, we did cheat in the width a bit to maintain the proper relationship to the cockpit. Remember this seat is designed to go in more than one kit and aircraft type.

Its maybe an inch or so too narrow, but its not through lack of research or carelessness. Its just a design compromise. The seats that were too narrow and reworked were the other wicker seats with the solid backs. The AGS seats you purchased have not changed.

I apologize to Tug for the long turnaround with your order. Our production casting guy is no longer with us, so I have been doing double duty. On top of that, Shelly, who handles all the books, packaging and shipping was down for 9 days with a bad flu.

Its been a rough month for us, but we are mostly caught up now. Also, please remember that we are a manufacturer who also sells direct. We are not a dedicated mail order house. Sometimes it takes a few days to turn around orders, a week or more if we get really busy like during a sale. We do no claim to do one day shipping, but it does happen quite a bit.

Wishing you all a canvas and wire filled 2017!

Happy modelling!  Roy Sutherland "

I suggest if there are further questions or concerns that you contact Roy directly at Barracuda Studios.

Regards,
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 01:16:42 AM »
Hi Eindecker,

Just to be clear - in no way was I intending any disrespect to Roy or Barracuda products in anyway whatsoever. Indeed I have recently purchased wheels for a future project because of their detail and superb quality above others available.

This was, and is, as a direct response from Roy to me with regards to the under scaling of the seat width. (See text in brown, reply #10 this thread)  His current reply appears however to be somewhat contradictory to that where he originally accepts the seat is under scale due to an oversight on part of the sculptor.

I'm afraid I don't share his views in his current assessment of the seat. Place it next to that of the WnW Snipe it's narrowness becomes immediately apparent (which is how I discovered the anomaly in the first place). When I first placed it in my (Hobbycraft) Camel the lack of width became immediately apparent and appeared so narrow to the extent that I thought I may have had a 1/48 version. Modifying it proved simple and is not difficult but having said he was going to re print it I naturally assumed the width was going to be corrected

Roy has no need to apologise either - whilst he offered a replacement in the first instance I did not feel that was necessary and emailed to that effect. I also spoke to him a few days later over the matter at the show he is referring to (Telford 2015)

I will email him direct to ensure he is not under any illusion that I am an unsatisfied customer - I'm certainly not that.

Regards - Tug

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 03:05:12 AM »
Just thought I'd post that I sent an email to Roy regarding the flash on my seats.

I found it hard to remove without damaging the fine detail (for me at least). I wasn't asking for anything, just wondering whether it would be possible to get a set without the flash. Shelly sent me another set free of charge (having searched through their stock for the best example she could find).

They arrived yesterday and are perfect!

Very good customer service...

Guy

Ps they do seem to be identical in respects of size though
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941