Author Topic: Hobbycraft 1:32 Nieuport 17 Capt WA "Billy" Bishop VC  (Read 4926 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Hobbycraft 1:32 Nieuport 17 Capt WA "Billy" Bishop VC
« on: December 03, 2016, 04:22:56 AM »
    In my generation of young Canadian boys there were two sources of undying hero worship: the great Ice Hockey players of the day and William Avery "Billy" Bishop who was credited with 72 enemy aircraft downed in the Great War of 1914 to 1918. His legendary exploits undoubtedly had a lot of influence on my determination to be a Fighter Pilot when I grew up, unchanged since it's beginnings when I was six years old and started building models. When I finally achieved my ambition I was tagged with the Callsign "Bishop" and carried it proudly throughout my service. Having a model of Bishop's Nieuport in which he scored over one half of his victories is a must for this Modeller!
   The Hobby Craft Canada Kit is a very basic and simply presented version of the aircraft although the basics including generally accurate dimensions are all there. I used a lot of After market components on this build including the MasterCaster's resin cockpit and also their cowling and wheel set, a few bits from Tom's Model Works Brass PE Set, and Gaspatch Lewis Gun. There was also some Scratch Building required to bring the Kit up to an acceptable standard.
   Following are a dozen or so photos of the finished product. I have the Model Cellar 54mm figure of Bishop kindly gifted by Paul, the Company owner and, never having done figures, will have to do some practicing before tackling that. Never fear, Paul, your gesture is appreciated and the Bishop Figure will get done!

An enjoyable Build, not without it's occasional setback, but overall the kit is worth building. I have several of the Hobby Craft Camels in my stash and , based on this Kit, will definitely build them some day in the future.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Jacek

Re: Hobbycraft 1:32 Nieuport 17 Capt WA "Billy" Bishop VC
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 04:50:32 AM »
Very nicely done "Niupi" !
Congratulations.
Jacek

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:22:40 AM »
An excellent rendition of a very famous aeroplane Lance, you have turned what you called a basic kit into a true masterpiece, your amazing abilities for model building have really shone through with this model, congratulations and thank you for letting us view this stunning work of art.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 05:56:03 AM »
Thanks for your very much appreciated comments, Des and Jacek. The support and endorsement of fellow Members here is most gratifying.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 08:12:12 AM »
Masterful job Lance.  What a beautiful rendering of Billy Bishop's Nieuport!  I hope to build my kit up this nice someday.  Thanks for showing me how. ;)  Very well done indeed!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 08:51:22 AM »
Thanks so very much Bob. It'd good to hear from you again, you've become so quiet of late I was concerned you'd run off to model Fantasy Figures or Hot Rods! Good luck when you get around to yours, and Billy would be pleased to see another Modeller doing his "Grid"!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:04:13 AM »
Excellent modeling Lance. And with a striking background story! Billy Bishop would be proud of it! Congratulations on a spectacular project!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Thank you Prze, coming from a Modeller of your superb skills that means a great deal to me!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »
Lance , she turned out wonderful !   :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »
 Lance,
Congratulations she's beautiful my old friend. Absolutely fitting tribute to your Master Class skills.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
Thanks Terri and Greg, great to have you look in and comment since you both welcomed me to another Forum and encouraged me years back when I got back into WWI Aircraft Models. The second most enjoyable part of being in the "group" is the shared modelling thoughts and experiences, the first and foremost is the great friends you make! :) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 01:22:22 PM »
Hey Lance, as expected you have turned out a masterpiece in miniature. Congratulations!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 04:54:56 PM »
Outstanding workmanship Lance.  Followed this build and your finished product is a mini masterpiece.  Congrats

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 11:31:57 PM »
Lance,
Following this build was inspirational to say the least. Knowing what you started with and seeing the results really emphasizes your skills. Beautiful construction, painting, weathering, and especially detailing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 11:44:50 PM »
Thanks for the compliments Gents, they are much appreciated and great confidence builders! 8)
Cheers,
Lance