Author Topic: The Aero Squadron Lounge  (Read 5448 times)

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
The Aero Squadron Lounge
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:07 PM »
I mentioned in my intro, that I build 1:12 scale dollhouses as a main hobby.  Every year there is a contest where everyone builds the same kit and you can do whatever you like with it.  This year, I turned the building into The Aero Squadron Lounge:

On the property of the local aviation museum sits The Aero Squadron Lounge, a WWI themed lounge modeled after a French farmhouse ruin.  Outside is a replica 1917 Sopwith Camel aeroplane, and inside you will find a unique setting to enjoy a beverage and view the WWI and aviation memorabilia.  Climb the tower for an aerial view of the Sopwith Camel and picturesque grounds.  Stop in today and enjoy one of our signature cocktails: The Flying Ace, The Bombardier, The Tailgunner (limit two please) or The Barnstormer.  Please don't feed the hens.
-----

As you can see, this is a 360° build, with the removable fireplace being the remaining component of the bombed out back wall.  This allowed me to include more inside while still maintaining a view of the inside.  It's a difficult build to photograph and is best seen in person where you can walk around and peer into all the openings.

I made just about everything for this build myself, including the 1:32 scale Sopwith Camel, dogwood tree, flowers, hens, fireplace and furnishings.  The things I purchased include the glass, plastic and metal items as well as the display cabinet, shrubs and lighting.  For the interior, I used all WWI photographs found online and built matchstick frames for each and every one of them.

The most challenging part of the build was the 1:32 scale Sopwith Camel, built from a plastic kit by Academy.  It had been a long time since I built a model car, and I had never built an airplane let alone one with rigging.  I love the way it turned out!

There is more on the build along with photos here: http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/introducing-the-aero-squadron-lounge

Regards,
Brae

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
Re: The Aero Squadron Lounge
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »
More...

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 11:33:35 PM »
And more...

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »
And at night...

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »
Great work Brae!  Is there actually a building like this, or is the back story  fictional to enhance your build?  (If it's real, I definitely want to go have a drink there, it would be a great place for a WWI Aircraft Models get-together!)

Warren

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:28:39 AM »
Thank you!  :D  My story is fictional, but there are places like this.

At the very end of my blog post there are links to the remaining 94th Aero Squadron Restaurants in the U.S.  There was one here in Illinois, but it has since closed and the planes are now gone.  The building is abandoned now, otherwise I would have taken some photos of mine in front of it.

Regards,
Brae

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:42:29 AM »
That's awesome, Brae! Enjoyed seeing the pics on your blog of the dollhouse build -- lots of cool ideas there. Kudos for tackling the Sopwith Camel head-on, rigging and all. She's not out of place here by one bit.

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 04:02:08 AM »
Thank you!  :D  I will be posting more detailed shots in the next couple of weeks.

Regards,
Brae

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 04:54:18 AM »
Wow, Brae!  Truly stunning.  Extraordinary detail.  Very warm and cozy.  I want to hang out there.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »
Thank you!  :D  I miss the 94th that used to be in the area...great patio in the warmer months.

Regards,
Brae

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
I'm surprised any of the 94th Aero restaurants are still going. They were part of a larger chain that included other military themed venues, but most have locsed or gone under. There was one in Memphis geared around the 8th AF and "Memphis Belle", and we had one in Nashville centered around the 101st A/B division, all now closed. I thought a friend had told me the one in Van Nuys,. Ca had closed as well.  Glad to see it hasn't.

Warren

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »
Beautiful work Brae, the interior fittings are superbly done, very realistic, extremely well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:04 AM »
Thank you so much!  :D

Regards,
Brae

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 09:13:35 AM »
I have a vague memory of the 94th Aero in Illinois -- was it in one of the Chicago 'burbs?  (I lived in Chicago in the 80s.) anyway,  if my recollection is correct, your vision is much much more interesting...

Offline otterine

• otterine's miniatures
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
Thanks!  It was at Palwaukee Airport - now called Chicago Executive, I think.  It closed late 2011 and only the building remains, at least the last I saw a couple of months ago.

Regards,
Brae