Author Topic: Modeling tip  (Read 2054 times)

Offline jknaus

Modeling tip
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:00:44 AM »
I am not sure where to put this so forgive me if its in the wrong place.
With kids going back to school (at least in North America) I thought this might be a timely hint. If you buy the Bic Gel Pens

you will find they have a little protective knob on the end. It has to be removed before you can write. I have found these knobs to be of great use as shift knobs, throttle lever knobs etc for aircraft and vehicles. They are round and have an indent where the whire or rod can be inserted and glued/ Much more uniform than glue blobs and easy to paint. I know at least here the local stores have tons of them cheap for the new school year.
Hope that is of some use to someone out there.
James

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Modeling tip
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »
Fine idea James, and I have "tossed' my share of them, drat! I think I'll venture down to "Wally Market" tomorrow and get a pak for my Nieuport throttle assembly. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jknaus

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »
They are handy. Used them to make the knob on the gear shift in my trucks, jeeps etc. Also on some WWII throttles and levers like the belt tension adjust lever on a bang seat.
James

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:53:42 AM »
What a lovely idea ! Would these work for the smaller scales ? Or are these only suited for large scale ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline jknaus

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »
I've used them in 1/48, 1/35, and 1/32. Not sure if it would be over scale in smaller, but that's something you would have to try. Be interesting to know.
James

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 06:04:55 AM »
Thanks for the idea, James. I'm always on the lookout for useful bits and pieces like this.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »
I've used them in 1/48, 1/35, and 1/32. Not sure if it would be over scale in smaller, but that's something you would have to try. Be interesting to know.
James

Thanks James , mostly working in 48 and 32 scale ...Perfect ! PE levers and such I rather not use but also have troubles making a round ball .

Thanks again James  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline jknaus

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »
Tack or Map pins from a sewing shop or map shop also work well if you need different sizes. Hope that helps some more :)
James

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »
Nice tips, thank you.
Giuseppe