Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen  (Read 37078 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 1183 Oblt.z.S. Christiansen
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »
Thank you Stephen. I have the second part of the update ready to post.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2017, 07:32:52 AM »
   This will complete the latest update and bring it in line with where this project is at. The Naval Hex Lozenge is complete and I'm quite pleased with the results, I found it easier to work with then previous Lozenge applications. Could be I'm finally "getting it" (I'm a slow learner!) or it's a newer formula. The wing walks were covered with Bare Metal Foil Matte Aluminum which had been embossed with a "Rosie the Riveter" Riveting wheel. It'll look much better once a coat of flat clear is applied.

I like the effect the pre-shading produced for both top and bottom surfaces, subtle but definitely visible.

The floats are less then ideal, I used both Microsol and a hair dryer to get just "OK" results and touched up the split areas with dark grey enamel wash. This was the one detail of this Kit I dreaded and it did not disappoint!

The last part completed was the addition of the under wing decals which, as with all Wingnut Decals worked beautifully. Now it's time to get at some of the exterior details.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jknaus

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »
Looks fantastic Lance. Really nicely done.
James

Offline boggie

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
Very nice progress Lance.  :)

Your wing preshading is excellent. Just the right amount IMHO.

I like your metal wing walks too. Your embossing detail certainly adds to the "wow" factor.

I wonder how the real floats looked when covered with fabric?

Surely it would not have conformed to the ridges and contours without a few irregularities.

BTW, I have it on good authority that grey paint was the recommended "fix" for float fabric issues, therefore your technique is

historically correct.  ;)  ;D.  And looks good too!

Bring on the next installment please! But you do deserve a small scotch first.  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:12:02 AM by boggie »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
Thanks James, and thank you for your comments as well Boggie. Applying fabric to the floats must have been as much of a challenge as the model version as you say, I can see where it would cause the refinishers to seek a good glass of schnapps as well, so a glass of Scotch here doesn't seem at all unreasonable! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »
Excellent work Lance - thanks for posting. You've convinced me to use those decals when building this kit!!
Regards,
Gary

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Outstanding job on getting the decals on the floats and awesome progress from my point of view.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »
Beautiful results with the pre shading and decals Lance! The floats look pretty darn good to me!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 12:30:03 AM »
Gary, Juan and Rick,
    Thanks for looking and commenting; the floats are the big challenge in this Build once the choice of the Hex vs. plain black scheme is made. I figured I'd use a different scheme with black floats as a fall back if they didn't work out but they worked out reasonably well. Now I've got to get some work done on the diorama aspects of the project.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 03:41:57 AM »
 "The floats are less then ideal, I used both Microsol and a hair dryer to get just "OK" results and touched up the split areas with dark grey enamel wash. This was the one detail of this Kit I dreaded and it did not disappoint!"

Glad you were not disappointed Lance! Come to that nor were we with your very fine effort. So all are happy!!

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 04:06:15 AM »
Thanks Stephen, for your comments. I had meant to express that the float decals proved to be as I feared, a bit of a toe curling tongue biting session compared with the enjoyment of all the rest of the Build. They turned out as stated, just "OK", but I'm pleased with your endorsement and encouragement!
Here's the under wing decals photo I forgot to add to the update; I'm working on the Aviattic Fuel Cart presently.

Another update to follow soon.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2017, 04:43:46 AM »
Eric Larson recently shared his W.12 on the GW32S FB group -- he did something really clever with the floats -- went to Lowe's and color-matched the decals, got three small pots of paint and used that to repair the places where they wouldn't conform.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »
Bo,
    That is clever; I'll keep that in mind for the next time I get into trouble like this. We have an excellent Paint Shop in our small city/town and they do a great match with spectrum analysis, wish I'd have thought of this earlier!
     And Thanks Richard, for your welcome comments on the subject; research based objective comments trump my "best guess" subjective opinions every time, great stuff!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:38:22 PM by lcarroll »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »
Another small update on this project. I completed all of the guns and got the two Spandau LMG 08's installed. 1183 was a C3MG version of the normally single Spandau design having the extra synchronised "08" mounted on the left side.
     The standard right gun......

...... and the second on the left side:

The Observer's Parabellum 14 completed and ready for installation later.  I've added a strip of HGW Fabric to the magazines for this one, the two spares have been tucked away into the Observer's "pit".

The float assembly is completed excepting the cross rigging and will be attached to the aircraft after the upper wing installation is complete. The Macro Mode proves a bit more touch up work is required here.

The lower wing bottom cross fields were post shaded very lightly and sealed.....

Last, some streaking and weathering was started on the fuselage after first adding the Pheon Fuselage decals.

I'm still pecking away at the fuel cart for the scene, and have ordered various bits and pieces to create, at best, a very simple diorama. That part I admit will be made up as I go along!!
Cheers,
Lance

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »
Hi Lance, she is coming along very nicely.  Cheers