Author Topic: Scratch-built 1:6 scale Benz BzIII  (Read 9209 times)

Offline abufletcher

Re: Scratch-built 1:6 scale Benz BzIII
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 03:46:50 AM »
Nice Job on the plane so far, would be nice to show more pics of the plane itself being build :)

I've been documenting my build of the CI for several years over on RCSB.  Unfortunately, only RCSB members can see it.  It's been a long slow process.

You could have gotten away with casting this as a topfilling mold no need to make it a two part mold saves a seam and allot of work.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and the two part molding process seemed the most adequate for multiple castings.  So are you suggesting instead fully encasing the master in silicon then cutting a seam along one side to remove it?

When pooring the resin mix up the resin and poor it in your mold not filled to the top but just a 1 cm below the top and rotate your mold by hand slightly tilted on the side doing this, then poor out the resin in your cup and rotate again now your mold is coated with a thin layer of resin then poor in again the resin from the cup and you should have a bubble free casting.

Is this what is called "slosh casting?"  Or do you mean just doing a light pour to coat the inner surface before filling in the rest?  The bubbles were definitely annoying, but I knew that the cylinders would be painted black and for the most part hidden from view.  I was definitely a bit lazy about doing the proper prep work on these cast parts.

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 05:47:43 AM »
And wouldn't it have been nice to have been able to do all that work that quickly. ;)
Doc

What do you mean?!?  I did all of this in one weekend.   ::)   ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:06:59 AM by abufletcher »

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »
Impressive work on this engine and cowling, I would like to see the whole model.
Giuseppe

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 06:02:56 PM »
I would like to see the whole model.

Me too!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:19:39 PM by abufletcher »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »
This will get an Albatros C I in 1/6 scale??? wow, that's a big bird, at how well it looks on the photos in the background. Would you mind to post some pics her of the plane too?
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2016, 01:33:36 AM »
Since the model isn't finished (and may not be totally finished for another year of off and on building) I don't have any glamour shots of the whole model yet.  And since it is big (over 2m wingspan) it's hard to setup. 

Perhaps one of the largest tasks remaining is to do the rigging which has to be fully functional.  It also has to allow the model to be disassembled to be transported to the field.  With my "smaller" Snipe and SE5a I was able to use 0.6mm music wire for the rigging and leave it permanently in place since the model fits intact into my van.  With the CI I'll have to set the wings up as cells which can be removed from the fuselage.

This photo was taking over a year ago and I've done considerable work since then (and for this photo I didn't bother to put on the tail feathers. 

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 01:56:19 AM »
Each part of the build seems to turn into its own extended project.  For example, making the Hazet radiators, each of which has hundreds of parts, took the better part of six months as I explored materials and methods.  Then I decided to do an all metal undercarriage (as per the original) and took a lot of time and a lot of head scratching and pushed my silver soldering skills to their limit.  There are more than 60 individual embellishments on the fuselage alone.  The observer's turret and surrounding lithoplate panels constituted another major project.  And then there's the scale dummy propeller.

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 01:59:56 AM »
The CI I'm modeling also carried three forms of armament (four if you count bombs): a Parabellum, a Danish Madsen (over the wing), and with a GeWehr 98 tucked into a rack for good measure.  The GeWehr 98 is from DID, the Parabellum is from Williams Brothers, and the Madsen is scratch built.

As I mentioned elsewhere my plastic modeling (painting) skills are less than ideal.  I feel that someone more skilled could have done a better job on these.  My basic technique was just to paint the entire gun with flat black and then selectively rub on pencil graphite.  I also did some light weathering with oils on the rifle.

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 02:00:41 AM »
For the drum on the Parabellum I explored some paint chipping/scraping techniques I had seen on YouTube.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 02:34:09 AM »
That's impressive! Huge, beautiful detail, and a very "real" appearance. The guns are exceptionally well done, I can't imagine how you could have done them any better. Thanks for posting all of this here, great work! :o 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 03:44:49 AM »
That's impressive! Huge, beautiful detail, and a very "real" appearance. The guns are exceptionally well done, I can't imagine how you could have done them any better. Thanks for posting all of this here, great work! :o 8)
Cheers,
Lance
My thoughts exactly!  Magnificent work!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 05:19:32 AM »
I see all the superb multi-step techniques for weathering on YouTube, such as applying a layer of hairspray over a base color coat, and subtle airbrushing techniques (I only have a cheap one and hardly know how to use it). 

...and then there's me rubbing paint on with my fingers.   :'(
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:34:37 AM by abufletcher »

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
Nice Job on the plane so far, would be nice to show more pics of the plane itself being build :)

I've been documenting my build of the CI for several years over on RCSB.  Unfortunately, only RCSB members can see it.  It's been a long slow process.

You could have gotten away with casting this as a topfilling mold no need to make it a two part mold saves a seam and allot of work.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and the two part molding process seemed the most adequate for multiple castings.  So are you suggesting instead fully encasing the master in silicon then cutting a seam along one side to remove it?

When pooring the resin mix up the resin and poor it in your mold not filled to the top but just a 1 cm below the top and rotate your mold by hand slightly tilted on the side doing this, then poor out the resin in your cup and rotate again now your mold is coated with a thin layer of resin then poor in again the resin from the cup and you should have a bubble free casting.

Is this what is called "slosh casting?"  Or do you mean just doing a light pour to coat the inner surface before filling in the rest?  The bubbles were definitely annoying, but I knew that the cylinders would be painted black and for the most part hidden from view.  I was definitely a bit lazy about doing the proper prep work on these cast parts.

Hi, no slosh casting you use a diferent kind of resin it get's thicker while you move it arround.
Its indeed coating the mold with a thin layer of resin to brake the airbubles then poor the rest in. I use Vacuum and pressure casting for these things so if you need a quality part next time iam happy to cast in for you.
The problem with the resin is that is produces tiny airbublles because of the chemical reaction that happens putting it in a pressure pot crusing the airbubbles.
You will need to Degass your sillicone where you make the mold of outerwise you will get spikes on your models.

Regards Ron

Regards Ron

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »
I seem to have missed your magnificent build until now! Everything you have done looks absolutely SUPERB!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 12:16:05 AM »
First I must say beautiful work on your engine.it is coming along very nicely. I must mention in your post # 12 you term fuel intakes. This is actually intake manifold pipes .perhaps there is a mixture of fuel with the air as these pipes are connected to the carburators . Or perhaps the fuel is injected elsewhere.