Author Topic: Another WWI RC modeler  (Read 4754 times)

Offline abufletcher

Another WWI RC modeler
« on: August 29, 2016, 02:20:23 AM »
Lots of information and inspiration on this forum!  I'm another modeler of flying WWI scale aircraft who's often impressed with the scale fidelity and dedication of you "plastic boys" (though most of us seem to be in our 50s and beyond).  My preferred scale so far has been 1/6 scale, but I'm considering moving up to 1/4 scale.  On the other hand, I could also perfectly well move down to free-flight scale.  I don't have the skill set to do quality plastic modeling, but enjoy looking at the excellent work I'm seeing on this forum.

Below are a few glamour shots of my Sopwith Snipe and SE5a.  I'm continuing a long term build of a 1/6 scale Albatros CI.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:32:41 AM by abufletcher »

Offline abufletcher

Re: Another WWI RC modeler
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 02:21:28 AM »
And another of the Snipe.

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:22:28 AM »
And the SE5a (also 1/6 scale).

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:23:13 AM »
Another of the SE5a looking mean and lean.

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:24:02 AM »
And one final shot of the SE5a heading off for a morning sortie.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:34:00 AM by abufletcher »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:28:28 AM »
abufletcher,

" I don't have the skill set to do quality plastic modeling"

I am absolutely blown away by the detail and incredible realism portrayed in your Snipe and SE.5a. You are modest to the extreme! Beautiful work, Sir, and all the more impressive given they fly; it's like a scene at TVAL in your flying shots!
    Welcome to the Forum and the more photos of your project(s) the more we'll enjoy them. If this isn't Scale Aircraft Modelling at an exceptionally high standard I'm at a complete loss for words!!
    Thank you for sharing these beauties!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 04:01:28 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, thank you for posting the images of your spectacular RC Models, they are as good as any thing I have seen in plastic.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 04:02:29 AM »
If this isn't Scale Aircraft Modelling at an exceptionally high standard I'm at a complete loss for words!!
 Lance

Absolutely  :)

As a long term aeromodeller but never a scale flying modeller I can, I like to think, spot a good'un when I see one (or two as the case may be ;)) - and these just 'top the bill'. Like Lance your workmanship and attention to detail is superb, that they fly to boot (and you have the nerve to put them in the air*) is just sublime.

Regards - Tug

* I always held the view that 'if you can't break them, then don't make them' but never could bring myself to apply that to even thinking about risking such workmanship and investment of time in a scale model - congratulations on all counts
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:53:56 PM by Suffolk Lad »

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 05:48:13 AM »
The way I figure it, once I've finished with one of these scale models I've already had a year (or two or three) of building enjoyment that nothing can take away.  The actually model is nothing compared to that enjoyment.  Yes, I do have some serious nerves for the maiden flights but that also is somehow part of the experience.  Or to get a bit philosophical, Tibetan monks will spend a week or longer painstakingly creating an intricate "mandala" out of sand.  Then as soon as it's finished a prayer is said and the sand painting wiped away...symbolizing the transient nature of the physical world.  I cheat a little in that I'll always have the photographs.

One advantage of small-scale plastic modeling is that it's possible to build dozens of models a year.  That means being able to explore a wide range of subjects.  In contrast the SE5a, which I thought of as a "quick build" took me 8 months.  And I spent three years (a bit off and on) working on the Snipe.

I might not have another finished scale model to show off for another year!   :o

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:04:59 AM by abufletcher »

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 08:11:21 AM »
I admire your philosophy abu'  :) I too (did) get the bigger pleasure from building - the flying of them was always the 'bonus' but there was a limit  :D  I've just spent best part of four years off and on building a steam launch model - I would hate for it to sink but at least it would still be whole.

I have to disagree with you in the friendliest of ways though .....
One advantage of small-scale plastic modeling is that it's possible to build dozens of models a year. 

Dozens - dozens?  :o  Oh I wish - what a difference that would make to mine and many others stashes were that true   :D

Regards - Tug

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Well, maybe not dozenS but is it realistic to build a dozen models in a year?  I get the impression that people do the  1/72 kits fairly quickly.  But then the gems I have seen here suggest much more time (and care) is taken.  I still can't fathom how you guys do such exquisite rigging on such tiny models.

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
Here is another much less scale model, an EIII.  This was my very first RC model and I didn't yet know how to fly...so I didn't have confidence that I could fly a model with a thin scale airfoil and wing-warping.  This started life as a Balsa USA eindecker kit but I was so disappointed with what I saw when I opened the box and looked at the plans that I essentially chucked 95% of it and built an entirely new model from scratch based on the Joself Nieto scale drawings (which I had ordered from the Smithsonian when I was 12). 

What I like about this forum is seeing the great variety of aircraft modeled.  On RC scale forums it's pretty much the same dozen (or half-dozen) WWI aircraft over and over again. 

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 11:59:57 AM »
With a little help from my sons (to hold it up to the sky) and Photoshop to add some special effects.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:04:26 PM by abufletcher »

Offline abufletcher

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
And proof that the thing flew (terribly). 

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »
Wow, I am overwhelmed.
Theese planes are just great, I love the SE5a.
Welcome to the forum.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau