Author Topic: Scratch 1/72 Aviatik C1  (Read 2463 times)

Offline stevehed

Scratch 1/72 Aviatik C1
« on: August 06, 2016, 08:42:59 PM »
Hi All,
        Having succumbed to the gentle persuasion of Lone Modeller here is my first almost complete scratch build. I've scratched wings, even a fuselage once, but never both together.  While I will never reach the standards of many on this forum I'm quite happy with the result.
Build thread is here. http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=49276
The Aviatik C1 was one of the first the C type recce aircraft introduced in 1915 by the Imperial German AF. Three types were initially ordered from Aviatik, Albatros and LVG with others following. All appear to be upgrades of these companies earlier B types which had at first been unarmed. Improved 160hp Mercedes and 150hp Benz engines were becoming available and offered improved performance and it was now obvious that machine gun armament was a necessity in order to resist mg armed Allied aircraft. However, the debate as to which cockpit the gunner should occupy remained unresolved so Idflieg, the German Air Ministry, ordered rear gun mounted aircraft from Albatros and LVG while the Aviatik order specified a front seat gunner. Geyer machine gun rails, previously installed on some B types, were fitted and the field of fire was improved by relocating some of the wing bracing wires from the upper wing centre section to the upper longeron of the fuselage sides. This was a considerable improvement over the B types.  One report quoted in WSDF 63 said that the field of fire from the front cockpit was “ medium good “ and that successful attack or defence was largely dependent on pilot skill in combat manoeuvres.

Orders were placed in spring ’15 and continued until April ’16. Hannover licence built the type from Sept 15 to Sept 16 and in total 402 were built by Aviatik and 146 by Hannover. The C1 served on the Western Front well into 1916 and on the Eastern Front until spring 1917. Many were used as trainers and at the beginning of 1918 around 200 remained in service in this capacity.

While the British BE2 series has been condemned for poor defensive qualities the Aviatik appears to have managed better. As it was purposely designed to have a front gunner considerable thought seems to have gone into improving the fields of fire combined with the installation of a much improved engine which gave better performance. Although the concept of the rear cockpit armed reconnaissance aircraft proved to be the better solution the Aviatik C1 was regarded, to quote PM Grosz in WSDF 63, “ as a dependable workhorse performing artillery spotting, bombing and general photo-reconnaissance assignments from mid 1915 through early 1917.”

The kit was scratch built using the WSDF plans. It represents a generic aircraft operating from late 1915 to 1917. There are errors aplenty but I’m quite happy with it. Being a basic slab sided design makes it an ideal candidate to cut one’s scratch building teeth on. There are also several options available. Early aircraft sported side radiators and above engine water tanks and at least two different water pipe installations for the strut mounted versions.  Most Aviatik aircraft were very light grey with grey fuselage upper surfaces although some appear to have a darker grey colour overall. Hannover aircraft were light grey or later aircraft were camouflaged green and brown. So there we have it. One of Germany’s lesser known types that was around a lot longer than I would have guessed.

Regards, Steve

Online RAGIII

Re: Scratch 1/72 Aviatik C1
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:09:21 PM »
Outstanding Scratch built Aviatik! I envy those of you who can achieve reslts like this....especially in 1/72nd scale!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:36:40 PM »
A great looking model Steve, hard to believe it is a 1:72 scale model, very well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 02:08:02 AM »
An amazing scratchbuild Steve! It looks very good and is an inspiration to us all...
Regards,
Marc

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 02:16:43 AM »
 Steve,
Congratulations my friend she's beautiful. Scratch building can be challenging but in 1/72 it's even more so. Very impressive and Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 05:53:54 AM »
Very nice indeed, I'm so glad you succumbed! What's next?  ;)

Ian

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 07:54:41 AM »
It's a very good model and I like your choosen subjet too.
Giuseppe

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 08:20:38 AM »
Very nicely done Steve.  I really like your choice of the Aviatik since it wouldn't be kitted by a mainstream company.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »
Gorgeous Aviatik, Steve!  I love the type and plan on building Copper State's 1/48 scale version soon.  I'm in awe of anyone who can produce such a fine model from scratch, especially in such a tiny scale.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline stevehed

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »
Thank you so much. I really appreciate all your comments. This has been on the backboiler for a while and like most of my conversions came about because of the lack of an injection kit. It's 8 years since I resumed modelling and while I was amazed at the plethora of choice from the likes of Roden and the other East European companies it was pretty obvious that the fighters remained the main attraction. Most of the Pegasus range was unavailable at the time, even the Roland C11 was OOP, and the Hannover was the only German two seater available in injection. I can handle vac forms but research into resin kits put me off as they appear expensive and often required replacement of the struts and other delicate parts so I couldn't see the advantage over a vac. Besides I preferred injection kits. This led me to kit bashing and conversions and eventually my first scratch build. I have a back catalogue for want of a better description which I'd be happy to post which will show the strange places the human imagination can take you. The next stop will be an LVG C11 using the Emhar Anasal as the main donor kit.

Regards, Steve

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:45:43 PM »
Hello Steve,
at first my deepest respect for that very fine Aviatik C I, an important aircraft so neglected by kit makers. You did an extraordinary good job!
At second: Horray, a LVG C II! Great idea, an even more important aircraft and even more neglected by kit manufacturers... Soon I am going to start scratch building a crashed LVG C II in 1:32. So I'll follow your progress closely :-)
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 05:48:01 AM »
Sorry that I am late arriving for this one Steve - I have been away and only just returned. I am glad that I have managed to persuade you (at last) to show the members of their forum some of your work, which I consider to be original and exciting, not least because you choose to model important subjects frequently neglected by the kit manufacturers.

I am really looking forward to seeing more of your work here - it really is of the first rank.

Stephen.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 06:55:14 AM »
Welcome to the brotherhood, Sir!

An excellent first effort.