Author Topic: Uschi Blitz Dry  (Read 1723 times)

Offline ModelingBob

Uschi Blitz Dry
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:37:23 AM »
Any one use this stuff? Does it really dry oils to the touch in about an hour or two? From the photo's on his site, it looks just like the Japan Drier I use, but my Japan Drier still takes a day or two to dry to touch. It's pretty expensive stuff and I really don't need another bottle of Japan Drier!

Offline Derrick

Re: Uschi Blitz Dry
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:31:33 AM »
Would that be the same as  drying poppy oil ? I just bought a bottle of that stuff to try with the oil method for wood grain.

Offline ModelingBob

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 07:34:07 AM »
Derrick, don't know the answer to your question. There are a bunch of additives you can add to oils that will make them dry faster and I've tried most of them. While all the additives I've used to help do indeed speed the drying process, I have yet to find one that will actually dry to the touch in an hour or two, like Blitz Dry claims.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »
Hi Bob

Yes it does do what it says - very fast indeed. Far faster than ordinary driers and streets ahead of the 'fast drying poppy oil' I bought last year.  Like you, I thought it expensive in the first instance but you do need a very small amount of it indeed for it to be effective so unless it goes off in the bottle (I have no idea of the shelf life but would think it will be considerable) I can see it lasting a very long time. In my opinion it's worth having at 'ones' disposal  ;)

No connection of course - just the usual satisfied customer  :)

Regards - Tug

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 11:47:56 PM »
If you use Windsor and Newton WATER SOLUABLE oils then it can be oversprayed with Acrylic varnish and sealed / made touch dry within an hour. It still takes a few days to fully cure underneath, but you can handle the parts easily. The only limitation is that you can't use strong masking tape on it, but other than that, it behaves no differently than acrylics.

If you are talking about Windsor Newton Griffin Alkyd Oils I agree completely about their qualities. I used them on my Salmson Prop and with NO overcoat was able to handle the prop to put down a coat of future 2 hours later! Thire is a fairly wide range of colors although not quite as numerous as the normal Oil range. One thing I have noticed however, is that the colors aren't as vibrant/dark as their true oil counterparts. The burnt sienna is closer to raw sienna and I had to add some burnt umber to darken it a bit. JMHO,
RAGIII
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:29:16 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 12:14:39 AM »
   I've tried just about everything on the market and my favourite is Winsor& Newton's "Liquin Original". It is a gel, comes in a 250ml bottle(I figure enough to supply most of us on this Forum for a lifetime of modelling!) and speeds drying time on their Oils to 24-48 hours, as does the Japan Drier" I have. If this new product really dries oils in 2 hours I'd consider the investment.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ModelingBob

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 12:21:53 AM »
Thanks to all for your inputs. I went and took the plunge and mail ordered some. I already have about 30 tubes of oils and am not interested in buying the water soluable ones.  Yes, Japan Drier and Liquin do work as accelerators, but they still take 24-48 hours. If the Uschi stuff does indeed dry in a few hours, it will be worth the investment for me. I'll post results when I use it.

Offline MikkoHeikkinen

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:31:44 AM »
I use cardboard to fasten oilpaint dryingtime. It also take most of shine away. just put paint on cardboard and it takes most of oil away from paint.