WW1 Aircraft Art > Paintings/Drawings/CGI of WW1 aircraft

New painting - Goettler and Bleckley DH4

(1/2) > >>

RussellSmith:
Last Light is a depiction of the historic flight of Lts Harold Goettler and Erwin Bleckley of the 50th Aero Sq as they attempt to locate and resupply the famous “Lost Battalion” on Oct. 6, 1918. Goettler and Bleckley put their lives on the line, flying low over the war-torn Ardenne Forest through a hail of groundfire to locate the missing troops. Goettler was killed outright by a bullet from below. Bleckley, the observer, managed to fly the heavily damaged DH4 from the back seat back to allied lines where he subsequently crash landed. Bleckley later died of his wounds.
The scene shows Goettler and Bleckley banking low over the Ardenne in their DH4 Liberty plane. Much of the forest shows the devastation of battle while other parts are still intact. The smoke of battle can be seen on the horizon. A hail of groundfire is reaching up to find our heroes. It was late in the afternoon and the weather was overcast, but a slight break in the clouds somewhere out of the frame rakes the DH4 with a low level light.

coyotemagic:
Truly magnificent, Russell!  As with all of your work, the lighting is atmospheric and really draws me in.  I feel I'm part of the action, as if I'm flying on Goettler's wing.
Cheers,
Bud

stefanbuss:
I love the way you have found to bring out the light. Very atmospheric, as Bud already said.

Stefan

WarrenD:
Just gorgeous Russell!

Warren

RussellSmith:
Thanks so much guys. Your kind comments are very much appreciated.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version