Author Topic: Roden 1/32 scale Nieuport 28  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Epeeman

Roden 1/32 scale Nieuport 28
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »
All,

Another one of my brush painted efforts of the Roden 1/32 Nieuport 28 kit.   

Eight weeks of total modelling pleasure - one the best (so far for me) 32nd scale Roden Kits.   A nice straightforward, uncomplicated kit which made a real change in this scale.  Overall fit of this kit is good too so I certainly recommend this one.

Built strictly OOB with the exception of the seat and instrument panel that altered based on what I have seen elsewhere on this forum.   Added a set of Eduard pre-painted seat belts and added some rigging to the inside of the cockpit.  Everything else as per the kit itself.

The only slightly odd feature is that the lower wing appears to have a slight bit of anhedral when looked at it.  Not sure if this was caused by me, the kit, or whether this is how the original aircraft appeared.  I have looked at some original photos of the plane on the net and they do appear to have the lower wing feature though - perhaps some of you good folks may know the answer on this one.  Unfortunately, have also noticed looking on the web that the cowling cover colour scheme for this version should be black and red.   All I can say in my defence is that I simply followed Roden's painting guide here.

Best regards all

Dave

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:34:02 AM by Des »
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline NP

Re: Roden 1/32 scale Nieuport 28
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »
Very nice model

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »
Very good looking Nieuport Dave and smartly done ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous, Dave.  Superbly painted.  The Nie.28 is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
Very very nice Dave. One of the prettiest of the era and the range of markings available make it more so. You've done her credit with this build.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »
   Dave,
Congratulations on one beautiful Nieuport 28 my friend. Excellent brushwork.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:23 AM »
Outstanding brush work!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
A beautiful looking model Dave, excellent brush painting.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:12:55 AM »
Many thanks, all - very much appreciated.

Best regards

Dave

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 06:02:57 AM »
Huh. Might have to pick me up a Roden 1:32 Nieuport 28. That's a really great looking build, Dave. You've got me sold.

As a fellow brush painter, I'd be very interested in hearing how you did the camo pattern. I can imagine that putting the first coat of darker-over-lighter would be straight forward, but what about subsequent coats? Just thinking about that alone has kept me from entertaining the idea of doing this sort of scheme.

Well done,

Lindsay

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 08:10:38 AM »
Hello, Lindsay - nice of you to say - thank you. 

Really pleased to see there are other fellow brush painters out there!   

To answer your question -

1.  I always base coat prior to applying top coats - usually (as in this case) light grey. 
2.  Once dry, draw out pattern of the camo using a pencil onto the surface of the model itself.  Use the painting guide diagram to help, e.g. count the ribs from where you want the pattern to start and end.
3.  Apply the different camo colours one or two at a time by following the drawn line with the paint brush.   I use Revell 'aqua colours' which thin nicely with water.   then build up subsequent layers after each coat.  You can then blend in the different colours/correct the camo pattern as you go. 
4.  Finally, use a combination of dark and light shades of top coat colour to try and achieve a shaded rib look.

The cowling was tricky on this one - again, carefully (through trial and error looking at the paint guide carefully) measured out the base of the triangle.  I then measured centre of base of the triangle and drew freehand (could not use a ruler due to rounded shape of the cowling) a centre line to engine end of cowling.  I was then able to draw each side of the triangle meeting this centre line (apex).   
Once I had the drawn pattern, I was simply able (as above method) to follow carefully the drawn lines with fine paint brush building up and blending the two colours over several layers of paint - probably took about 6 - 8 paint layers (including touching in overruns) to get right.  Although slow and very painstaking, the result is much neater than using paint masking tape.  with brush painting, masking can work but tends to leave a visible raised 'edge'.   This method gave the appearance of a sprayed look and much, much neater.

Hope this makes sense - please feel free to PM me if any of this does not make any sense.

finally, give this kit a go - I think this a good, underrated Roden kit.  A nice simple, uncomplicated kit with reasonably good fit which goes together quickly and easily.

Regards

Dave

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
That's an excellent mini-tutorial, Dave. Thanks!

LT

Airboss 55

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 05:02:58 AM »
I have intrigued by skill of those who brush paint their models.  Does anyone have any additional advice on how to brush paint?  Are there any particular preparations or problems that could be shared to help this novice?

Thanks for what has been presented in this thread.  Looking forward to any other advice you may have.  Great plane, working on one myself right now!

Rick

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
Hello, Rick -

Thank you. 

There are probably lots of ways to use a brush - I guess those that paint like this (such as myself) have their own preferred method.

Mine is as sketched out above.  I paint with acrylics (water based paint) by using Revell 'Aqua colours'.   The advantage with this paint is that is thins nicely with plain water, dries smooth (no brush marks) and dries quickly.  I build colour on in layers.  Use a neutral base colour (e.g. light grey, etc.) After first top (colour) coat applied has dried, vary the direction that you move the brush, e.g. if first coat moves along surface horizontal, next coat applied could be vertical, followed on subsequent coats diagonal, etc.  I always ensure final coat goes in the direction of airflow over aircraft surface.   

I build up coats like this because I thin the paint down to avoid any brush marks being left on surface once dried.  This therefore requires other layers applied until no more of the base coat can be seen.

As I say, this works for me, but may not necessarily work for others.  Each of us will have our own preferred paint (whether using enamal or acrylic) or even brand of paint.  I guess the method will vary depending on what you use.  that said, I would also have thought regardless of paint type, paint should be thinned out nicely - don't brush straight out from the pot as it will be too thick and leave brush marks once dry.

I would also be interested to know what other methods are used by fellow brush painters.

Good luck with your build!

Regards

Dave

Offline LindsayT

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
Dave, I would offer my technique of "slop it on and pray it doesn't look like crap", but somehow I don't think that's what you're after!  ;)

Thanks for posting all the technique details. It'll prove to be very useful. I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Lindsay