Author Topic: WIP - modelling desk  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Jim

WIP - modelling desk
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »
After looking on ebay for some time I came across a drop down desk that I liked:

While a furniture outlet has a slightly damaged one available, they are asking a lot more than I would like to pay, so I am contemplating dusting off my year 10 woodworking skills and building one myself as well as some drawers for storage I'll put on castors.

My thoughts are to start by making a box for the top and then adding the legs as a frame, though I'd appreciate any advice from members with experience in furniture/cabinetmaking if you think there is a better way to go about it.
Woof!

Online RAGIII

Re: WIP - modelling desk
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 06:29:28 PM »
Nice looking desk. Be sure to post photos of your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:36:51 PM »
Good luck with the build Jim, be sure to give us some in-progress photos.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
You have a nice new supply of wood out on the back deck Jim. ;) ;D
Seriously, that would be a very handy work desk for your modeling...
good luck with the project!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 12:42:39 AM »
Jim,
   My suggestion would be to consider incorporating the drawer units as "pedestals" for the top box unit and eliminating the frame style leg supports. Some economies to be had in time and cost there. I'm assuming a finish of PC-10 is not a problem for this next project ;) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Jim

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 01:55:08 AM »
Jim,
   My suggestion would be to consider incorporating the drawer units as "pedestals" for the top box unit and eliminating the frame style leg supports. Some economies to be had in time and cost there. I'm assuming a finish of PC-10 is not a problem for this next project ;) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Hi Lance - I was originally thinking to incorporate the drawer units into the desk, though decided not to for a couple reasons (mainly, limited access to drawers when the flap is down).

I've been playing around learning how to draw using sketchup to get all the dimensions right and have drafted up the following design

Now, I just have to figure out how to use LayOut to print out the panels...hmmm
Woof!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 03:02:00 AM »
Jim,
    Now that you mention the drawer access problem I agree. Mine has a slide out shelf over top of each drawer pedestal and they both get piled up with reference material etc; it's a pain to move stuff around to get into the drawers as you forecast. Your plan is a good one IMHO!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Edo

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 10:03:34 PM »
Hey ! this a serius project!
You could end up with a prototype of modelling brench and storm the market!
May I sugget to incorporate a source of light? The back, particularly, seems to me to be prone on shades.
keep us posted!
ciao
edo

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 07:21:06 AM »
Hi Edo - I am going to fix a LED light strip to the bottom of the top panel after Lance mentioned similar light issues with his roller desk. Have already bought all the wood and fixtures, but haven't yet found stays for the drop down panel long/strong enough that I like. I think the stays should be around 300mm (the panel is 405mm, but I've only found stays half that length.
Woof!

Offline Jim

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »
Hello All

Thanks for the replies and helpful advice. After borrowing a friend's mitre saw this w/e I've cut all the wood up according to my design (with a few small changes/improvements?) and will now start putting it all together. I will post some photos once I have something more than a few bits of wood.

Regards

Jim
Woof!

Offline Edo

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »
Hey Jim! How are you going on this one?

Offline Jim

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 05:08:49 PM »
Hey Jim! How are you going on this one?

It was an abject failure...I did eventually put legs on the table but it wobbled like an Australian tourist at Oktoberfest so I binned the project. I've instead commandeered a table that my wife had set up as a home office but ended up as a mess magnet and might post a photo of it in the 'show us your workspace' section.
Woof!

Offline Edo

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
 :o no prblem mate! my prpjects end not square too, but this is ALWAYS my wife fault as she is too perfectionist!  ;D
ciao
edo

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
i have a special technique for projects like furniture making: i do up my drawings, dimension them, and hand them to someone who makes furniture!

i could probably pull it off in a fully equipped wood shop but i'm nowhere near being able to do such a beast at home with hand tools. i don't do much 1:1 scale :p

Offline Jim

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »
i have a special technique for projects like furniture making: i do up my drawings, dimension them, and hand them to someone who makes furniture!

Have to agree with you there, Jeff. I've been building a small corner table at a woodworking class I've been doing each Saturday morning for 3 months now and I've only just managed to glue it up!
Woof!