Author Topic: Aviattic 1:32 Marienfelde Lorry and Driver  (Read 12472 times)

Offline Adam

Re: Aviattic 1:32 Marienfelde Lorry and Driver
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 09:24:48 PM »
Very good, it looks like real car.

Adam.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 11:18:43 AM »
Many thanks guys.

I still have a way to go yet, all of the slung storage, exhaust and oil tank need to be done - the sides to the flat bed also need to be done but for now I will not mount them as I need to work out it's positioning for the diorama. Which I think will take me about 6 months to build....maybe.

In the meantime here is a little something.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »
James,
Your work on this one has been awesome. Sorry I haven't looked in as often as I should have!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FarEast

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
So between advanced motorcycle classes, taking my son to Japanese Premiership football games and a whole host of other stuff I managed to get some bench time in.

First job of the day was to bend the header and tail pipes in to position - once done I dry fitted everything to make sure I had the positioning right.

After bonding I used Mr. Surfacer 500 to add texture to the muffler and pipes.

After going through several of the archive photos available on the pintrest board Aviattic set up I noticed there were several with a footsteps of different types and shapes. It seems these were a field modification so I went about making one that appeared in one of the photos.

I also used the materials supplied to sculpt the curtains seen on many of the lorries. I added additional leather straps again taken from archive photos.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »
After painting up the side panels to the flat bed I'm at a cross roads.

I really like the idea of a covered flatbed but not sure where to go from here as it will be part of a diorama - However I will make and fix the framing for the tarp. This was made using 1mm Albion Alloys strips that were cut and soldered and then slotted into position.

Now the idea I have is that I will make 3 versions - 1; no tarp cover, but folded and tied down in the flatbed. 2; fully covered 3; half covered with tarp folded back and tied down.

So with this in mind it was time to experiment with methods to create the tarp. The one that I really like the idea of is using a normal facial tissue soaked in PVA glue, as you can see it gives the exact finish I'm after!

So with that curing along with some other small bits that nee to go on the lorry it was time to mess around.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 12:33:09 AM »
It is always an exciting pleasure to follow your posts. The truck looks wonderful, especially your painting skills always impress me. So you are going to build three trucks, or just tree variations of cover for the same truck?
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 08:09:53 AM »
Excellent progress with this build James, I really like your tarp, it would look great once painted.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FarEast

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »
It is always an exciting pleasure to follow your posts. The truck looks wonderful, especially your painting skills always impress me. So you are going to build three trucks, or just tree variations of cover for the same truck?
Best regards
Borsos

Because of the excellent detailing of the resin parts Borsos the frame for the canvas just slots in to place - it's exactly like the real thing. So I will basically make 3 tarps and change them out as I need them for photographs. Although I wish I had 3 of the lorries as I had another diorama in mind from a scene described in the book "No Parachute"

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
I never imagined that I would enjoy a lorry-build so much, but this is really intetesting James and your level of skill is most impressive. Oh, that you could have those three lorries and the diorama you mention.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline FarEast

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 08:36:05 AM »
The Dio would be of a Sopwith Pup piloted by Arthur Lee strafing the convoy at low level. Sadly I don't seem to be able to find any WWI infantry in 1:32 scale.

LOL Tamiya, ICM can anyone name some more??? The more the better!!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 08:51:46 AM »
Outstanding work on your Lorry and as always your photos!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FarEast

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
Thank you for all the kind words!

Well it was a 3 day weekend here in Japan, Saturday was written off as I needed to do chores around the house and also the stage 1 exam for advance unlimited capacity motor cycle license - which I passed and will now do lessons that prepare me for the final test. I also found myself in the Ducati showroom on the way home.... god knows how that happened!

Sunday morning was busy, the wife was on post op night shift making sure all her patients were doing ok after surgery so I was home alone with the kids and had to get them all packed and out the house by 6:30am to their different sports clubs. This gave me enough time to have a coffee and breakfast before jumping on the CBR and heading out to my sons soccer tournament.

Really proud to say that they won the tourney without losing a game and only conceded two goals, both in the finals which was a very close game

After returning home I and cooking lunch while the wife slept I then crept up to the man cave and laid down some base ready for the few small parts remaining of this project.

I also started twisting some wire - but more on that later.

So I still had the oil tank, engine crank start, tow bar and one or two other odds and ends - these painted up very quickly - however I had to jump on the bike and visit the local hobby store to buy some more chain that I swear is in my sons Lego box of Doom while I was there I also picked up some accessories and knick knacks for the flatbed.

So back to the twisted metal, I decided that I wanted to create a very active diorama and although Kellerkind and Copper State Models have some truly amazing non-static poses I really wanted to add a natural feel of human nature to the scene.

No I must thank Martin Hille of Kellerkind Miniatures who has basically been my mentor, answering and guiding me through the stages.

54mm wireman in the pose I was looking for.

Time to start fleshing him out, now I have to admit that I have a new found respect for miniature makers - its a very slow process to get here.

So this is how he will look when in positioned in the diorama - the effect I want is someone waiting there turn to carry a heavy object and maybe cracking a joke or teasing another member of the team.

Here he is in situation with some of the other figures I will be using - I can almost hear saying "Come on lad, put your back in to it!"

So this is how he stands now I think I will reduce the muscle definition of the chest a little but actually I'm very happy with him, the next step is to start clothing him and this is where it should get interesting.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 04:06:32 PM »
Also I started work on the content of the flat bed truck, In the end I decided to keep the tarp off on this one as had a lot going on around it and I wanted to show that off.

So measuring out the correct size of the tarp on another piece of facial tissue I then folded it in the correct manner. The straps were made from masking tape while the buckles were left over from a Wingnut Wings Roland C.II build.

Not shown but once the paint was dried I then gave the bundle a heavy coat of flat varnish that saturated the tissue and caused more wrinkles. (Photo to come)

I also picked up some crates made from wood and some other bits and bobs. I plan on making a scratch built bomb rack to hold bombs while in the back of the flat bed.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 04:38:10 PM »
Striking work as always! I especially love your skills regarding figure sculpting. You definitely walk the hard way. Are you going to sculpt head and face too? There's plenty of cool aftermarket stuff around to make life easier here.
A pleasure to follow - as always.
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2016, 04:53:32 PM »
Thank you for the kind words.

I will try sculpting the head and face but links to 3rd party would be really helpful. I know Hornet does a few 1/32 scale heads but any others?