Author Topic: CSM Salmsom-Moineau S.M.1 1:48 scale  (Read 41052 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: CSM Salmsom-Moineau S.M.1 1:48 scale
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2016, 07:25:50 AM »
Thanks Stephen and Gregory for your very kind comments, I appreciate them very much.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »
I'm calling this one done. I completed all the rigging and control rigging, fitted the rear machine gun and fitted the propellers.

When I took on this build it was way out of my comfort zone being 1:48 scale and resin but in all honesty I have truly enjoyed the build. The kit is quite complex and only suitable for capable or experienced modelers with knowledge in the use of resin and CA. For a limited run kit it did not pose too many issues and what issues did arise were quite easily overcome. Some of the resin parts were extremely fragile so I opted to fabricate the parts myself. My only criticism of the kit is the lack of instructions, even basic instructions would have been a huge benefit. I take my hat off to CSM for producing such a wonderful kit of a somewhat unusual subject and now that I have completed the model I would highly recommend this kit, remember, it is a limited run so grab one before they all run out.

Des.

Click any picture for a larger image

Online RAGIII

« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2016, 09:04:49 PM »
Des,
I don't have any superlative to express how impressed I am with what you have done with this kit! I truly enjoyed watching you turn what I thought was an ugly aircraft into a real BEAUTY!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:31:29 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

guitarlute101

« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »
Excellent Des!

Mark

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2016, 12:38:06 AM »
   Outstanding results Des, it's a superb model and the detail and "clean" finish really impress! It's nice to see a Company like Copper State provide such a unique Kit to the market, hopefully it will sell well and encourage more efforts like this.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2016, 01:36:29 AM »
Des, what an absolutely stunning work of art you've created!  This is the first of this kit that I've seen completed and I can't stop looking at it!  In 2009, when Eric Hight, founder and former owner of Copper State Models, told me that Marty Digmayer was working on the master for this kit, I had only seen just a few photos of the S.M.1 and knew almost nothing about it.  I started digging into it and became excited about the release of the kit to the point where I hounded Eric about it almost weekly.  As it turned out, it wasn't until Ilya Sobolev and Slava Krylov bought the company from Eric, that this kit got produced.  I bought one immediately and was impressed with the improved quality of the resin and the flawless casting, yet it sat in my stash all these years. You've got me itchin' to build it now, mate, with this gorgeous model you've presented to us.  Thanks for taking this on and reigniting my excitement for this freak of aviation!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2016, 01:58:56 AM »
Excellent build Des
Unfortunately I promised myself not to buy any more stuff due to the size of my stash but it is awfully tempting to break that promise after seeing your effort.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2016, 04:12:26 AM »
Des I would wish to echo what has already been written. This is a type of which I was utterly ignorant yet it looks to be a real challenge to build and a satisfying one when it is complete. The quality of your workmanship and modelling skills need  no further comment - you had done real justice to this kit and I hope too that others will buy it and give it a try.

Stephen.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2016, 07:40:56 AM »
I wish to express my appreciation to Rick, Mark, Lance, Bud, Alan and Stephen for taking the time to drop by and for leaving extremely nice comments, thanks guys.

Des.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »
it turned out so nice des. i hop it has given an appreciation and interest in 1/48. as you well know there are much more different types kitted in this scale. even more in 1/72 but to me 1/72 is just too small to do the level of detail i enjoy yet 1/48 is not too big as to cause storage issues for built models. i hope to see you build more 1/48 someday

Offline Borsos

« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »
A wonderful SM, very impressive! I can't say anything but repeating myself or the other positive comments respectively.
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
This was a very interesting build to follow and lead to really impressive model at the end!
Congratulations on finishing it :)

Best regards,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2016, 12:57:58 AM »
WOW Des, I am really amazed by this WIP, I just drank it all at once, sorry for not being more present during the works but now that I see it all together it should be taken as a modeling master class!

Ciao

Antonio

Offline jamieg

« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2016, 01:01:28 AM »
Wow, Des that really came together quickly. Really a nice job. I guess that is a thumbs up for the kit?

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: July 26, 2016, 08:47:58 AM »
Des, as I often say in marvelling at your builds, you are a world class modeller and your builds are inspirational and worthy of display in the finest museums.

The SM.1 is breathtaking, even more so as 1/48 is not your preferred scale and you achieved this spectacular result from a kit with no instructions!

Flawless as ever!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com