Author Topic: Never Paint It Black  (Read 7818 times)

Offline Modelnut

Re: Never Paint It Black
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 07:40:23 AM »
I read in an old modelling book some years ago that all colors should be diluted with white for scale effect. It had formulas for each scale. I build mostly 1/72 scale and have been using colors straight from the bottle. I may need to start lightening the paint a bit. I need all the help I can get sometimes ! My paint jobs are neatly laid down, no seams, no glue globs, but my builds are lacking some "snap".

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Another grimy black that follows demarcation lines like a dream when brush painting rubber tires is Badger's Modelflex brand. It's #16-03 in their railway colour selection. You can see their full selection of paints at:

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Paints.asp

Although meant for airbrushing, I've never found a paint that works so well when painting tires. It just flows effortlessly along the demarcation line, and I use it directly from the bottle.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »
Here's my triplane with the first coat of dead black black applied. I'll be misting a "lighter black" over it (possibly Tamiya NATO Black, or maybe a touch of Smoke) to get a more realistic appearance and to emphasize the fabric appearance a bit.

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »
Here's my triplane with the first coat of dead black black applied. I'll be misting a "lighter black" over it (possibly Tamiya NATO Black, or maybe a touch of Smoke) to get a more realistic appearance and to emphasize the fabric appearance a bit.

That is one fine looking Dr.I,... I like it a lot.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 01:20:10 AM »
While this may be a bit off topic for this thread, I have to say that I'm really impressed with that streaked effect on your fuselage Gary. I think it's time you let the rest of us in on the secret of your success. Not that I'll ever come close to matching it, but I'd sure like to try!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
Hi, Chris,

No secret, and you can do just as well as I can: it's a decal! Here's the link: http://www.microsculpt.com. I think that you can contact Microsculpt via their contact page and order the streaked decal sheet.

Here's a build review that used them, and it gives a good idea of its use: http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/w1/tc/tmcdr1.htm.

Sorry to break the bad news to you, but the streaked paint on the Fokker...isn't!  8)

PS: If you or anyone wants to pick what passes for my brain for a few ideas on how to use and apply these decals, contact me any time.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:55:53 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »
I read in an old modelling book some years ago that all colors should be diluted with white for scale effect. It had formulas for each scale. I build mostly 1/72 scale and have been using colors straight from the bottle. I may need to start lightening the paint a bit. I need all the help I can get sometimes ! My paint jobs are neatly laid down, no seams, no glue globs, but my builds are lacking some "snap".

Hi, Modelnut,

Ian Huntley was a noted aviation colour researcher. He recommends the following scale/mix ratios to match colour perceptions under northern European lighting conditions:

1/144th scale - add 7% white to the basic colour
1/72nd scale  - add 15% white to the basic colour
1/48th scale  - add 10% white to the basic colour
1/32nd scale - add 23% white to the basic colour

This is reported in Brett Green's Osprey Book, "Airbrushing and Finishing Scale Models." Hope this helps. Good luck!  :D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »

Hi, Modelnut,

Ian Huntley was a noted aviation colour researcher. He recommends the following scale/mix ratios to match colour perceptions under northern European lighting conditions:

1/144th scale - add 7% white to the basic colour
1/72nd scale  - add 15% white to the basic colour
1/48th scale  - add 10% white to the basic colour
1/32nd scale - add 23% white to the basic colour

This is reported in Brett Green's Osprey Book, "Airbrushing and Finishing Scale Models." Hope this helps. Good luck!  :D

These ratios seem backwards to me. If you extrapolate, at 1:1 scale you'd be just using pure white!

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
Vallejo makes a black gray that I use on every project, figures, aircraft and tanks.  Brush paints over unprimed plastic and doesn't leave brush marks. 
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »
So how is the little Fokker?....

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
Interesting... thanks for the explanation...  I guess that makes sense   :o

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:44 PM »
Steve asked 'how's the little Fokker', it's still alive an well as a project.  Will spray the top wing white today and then mask all the white surfaces so I can spray the CDL and underside blue.  Will post some photos.
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo