Author Topic: Scratchbuilding information  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Stonewall34

Scratchbuilding information
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
I have a quick question, where do you get information about aircraft you might be interested in scratchbuilding?  Any information would be very helpful.
Frank

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Scratchbuilding information
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »
I do a lot of scratch building, mainly pre war types and find most of the information from the net, it takes a bit of searching but I usually find enough information to allow me to build the model. I have written to a lot of museums but for some reason they are very reluctant to help. Some aeroplanes I would love to scratch build are lacking any good reference material so they have to be shelved but in most cases you will find what you need. Also asking questions here on the forum will reveal lots of info, many of our members have excellent libraries.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Stonewall34

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:13:11 AM »
Thanks guys,
I will do that still haven't decided what plane I want to attempt but I want it to be something relatively easy for a first project.  I am still learning the ropes with WWI modeling but I have truly not enjoyed anything as much as I have putting together the models I have purchased and I want to try my hand at scratchbuilding.
Frank

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:26:51 AM »
We would love to see your work once you begin your scratch build Frank, there are a lot of us here who scratch build and could offer help if needed. If you haven't already done so have a look at the builds of my scratch builds on my website, they may give you a few hints and tips, please feel free to ask any questions.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mossie

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 04:15:36 PM »
When you've selected and aircraft drop me a line, I have a range of research material that may have infomraion for you.
Gerry "Mossie" Mos

Mossie3DCAD
"Prompt & Precise"

https://www.facebook.com/gerry.mos.9

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:30:49 AM »
Frank,
          I'm not an experienced scratch-builder, no where near good enough yet, however you've gotten some great advice here.

If I may add my two Pfennings, obtain a copy of Sir Harry Woodman's "Scale Aircraft in Plastic Card":

http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/2010/02/scale-model-aircraft-in-plastic-card-by.html

Here's an online version:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080122044909/www.wwimodeler.com/harry/woodman.html

HTH!

Warren