Author Topic: Researching Gotha G Va/b cammo  (Read 1444 times)

Offline zavod44

Researching Gotha G Va/b cammo
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »
So I was researching Gotha G Va/b cammo schemes...I had always labored under the impression that they were all night bombers.  However I was looking all over the internet and found some interesting pictures of what I believe to be G Vb in daylight schemes.  I need your input on this maybe my eyes are not seeing this right.  it all started with this picture I found on the web of a hangar full of G V a/b.  The bomber in the foreground Go. G Vb 733/17 appears to be in a daylight scheme of a painted lozenge fuselage and printed fabric control surfaces and presumably the wings as well.  The Serial numbers are very dark and all the surrounding colors are much lighter giving the impression that it is a daylight scheme.

The Gotha in the background (upper right) is Go. G Va 723/17 with the dragon spewing fire.  In this hangar picture it appears to be a dark night bomber.  However after it was shot down it was photographed in these pictures.

In these pictures it seems to be much lighter.  The dark serial numbers are presumably black and they are much darker than the colors painted on the fuselage again as on 733/17.  Then there is Go. G Vb 917/18 Hessen-Nassau . 

This again seems very light in relationship to the serial numbers.  In a post on the Aerodrome the late Dan San-Abbot claimed 917/18 and 733/17 were both daytime schemes....Do we think these were or are the pictures just looking light in the daylight?   732/17 looks dark in the back of the hangar, but looks lighter once shot down.  What is the likelihood of all these daytime late Gothas?  Any thoughts?