Author Topic: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale  (Read 47317 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IanB

« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous Des.
 It's certainly got me starting to think of ways to do that tail rigging in 1:72 and I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the wings... I have 2 Tauben - a Pegasus Etrich and a Choroszy Rumpler, waiting in the stash...after seeing this build, they may not stay there too much longer, I feel a need coming on... ;)

Ian

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
Those radiators are amazing. Period. I love them, you need to go into business selling just those radiators Des.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
This is my first ever attempt at making a spoked wheel. I used 0.1mm invisible thread for the spokes, centre hub is a short length of 1.5mm brass tube with a small plastic washer on either end. Naturally, it needs a tyre which I will work on next. You will also notice that I have made and fitted the lower wing rigging mast which also incorporates the 'brake', a very crude braking system but it must have worked.

Des.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:03:57 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

modelmaker

« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Lol !!! Sorry Des I'm not laughing at your beautiful work just the technology of the era !
Love the wheels, superb work!

Sean

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2012, 07:11:04 PM »
I’m very, very pleased with your Spoked Wheel Des!

Please promise me that you will never-ever enter your Taube in the October Scale Model Competition in South Australia.

Damn, why did I let you have that spoked wheel tutorial!

Seriously though, you’ve done a great job Des.  I think the washers at each end of the hub make a big difference.

I take-my-hat-off to your wonderful scratch-build Taube.

The more spoked wheels on WW1, the better (I hope you're all listening kit-makers).

Very impressed
Regards
Steven Robson
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:19:27 PM by Steven Robson »
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2012, 07:44:55 PM »
Wheel-Tastic spoking, Des  ;)

Cheers,
BVB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »
Hmm... Taube for carrier operations...? With a brake like that it just might work...
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »
This just gets better with every stage Des... Not only the excellent quality of your build and the finish, but also the speed you work at.  I guess you are not rushing, more that you do what you do naturally, and you do it very well indeed!

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:51 AM »
Inspiring to say the very least Des! Mechanically challenged as always, I still have to figure out how you can use thread for the spokes.  :o With that arresting hook, the Taube would've been right at home on a carrier deck.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
RB that is a bit of everyday science I didnt even think about!!! Very cool. Des the spoked wheels rads etc look amazing. Those wings are on the horizon....

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
Shhh Steve, I'm trying to forget about the wings, but I'm running out of other things to do. I will have to bite the bullet soon and start thinking seriously about how to tackle the wings, a very scary prospect.

Des.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2012, 10:52:24 PM »
Don't forget things don't sit on spoked wheels, they hang in them - all the weight is bourne by the upper spokes under tension, the lower spokes don't carry any weight at all.

Forget?? I didn't even know they worked this way!  :o  but now that you mention it, it makes sense. That being the case though, how do you maintain the illusion of even tension on the spokes when there's more tension on the upper ones than lower ones? Des' wheel sure looks like there's even tension all around as I see no apparent sagging.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »
There is a great deal of tension on the spokes Chris, I could play a tune on these strings because they are pretty tight. Like RB said, all the weight of the aircraft is trying to push the centre hub down, this is stopped by the upper spokes which take all the weight, if tensioned equally there is no fear of the bottom spokes becoming slack.

I did not use the spoked wheel tutorial Steven Robson so kindly posted on our forum, I devised my own system which required me to plan a lacing pattern for the size wheel I was building, then I made my own jig which had 20 small hooks on either side (40 in total), these held each of the spokes in place. I have now made the second wheel which also includes the valve stem. As with most new ideas the first build is always the hardest, the second wheel was much easier and quicker. I have fitted a tyre to the first wheel, I used an o-ring of appropriate size, I flattened the inside of the tyre by sanding it, it then sat nice and flat on the rim.

Since completing the second wheel I have thought of a few modifications to my jig which would make life a lot easier when making the wheels, I will work on this next time i have to make a set of spoked wheels.

Des.

Offline dirk

« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »
Hi Des,

your wheels are really impressing. I was trying to make some wheels for my brisfit but they were not convincing to my eyes. Overall great progress on your UNBELIEVABLE scratch project.

Dirk