Author Topic: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'  (Read 33208 times)

Offline phs Paddy

Chris, she’s looking good. Love your dialog, the sharing of detail, your sense of humor, and most of all how you
hang tough until you’ve wrestled the bear to the ground. Great work buddy.  :)

Paddy 
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Chris,
   We seem to share a penchant for finding obstacles and falling into deep pits of adversity. As Paddy alluded to, it ain't the finish, it's the "getting there" that matters and you are doing a great job on this one!
Cheers,
Lance ;)

Offline Fokker boy

Bland!!!? We prefer to think of Allied schemes as - reserved. Have you seen the Pup trainer schemes that Pheon does?

Steve
Yes, quite outrageous they are too. I've considered doing one in fact. Perhaps reserved is a better word at that. My bad!
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline Chris Johnson

Steve: I know that some modellers have no real problems with Roden decals, but for me, they're just pure trouble. If you look at the fuselage roundel you can see how it's off register, and it's not the only one. The worst aspect though is that they're prone to disintegrate as soon as you try to position them.

Andrew: You're too kind, but thanks!

Lance: I'm looking at the WnW kit but I think I'll take a bit of a break with something else before building it. I'm about S.E.ed out right now. Good to hear that I'm not alone in finding those pits of adversity! They're like a magnet for me.

Gregory: Hmmm . . . S.E.5a to S.E.5 configuration, eh? This could be a good choice for my first aircraft conversion project. I'll have to look into the complexity to see if I could handle it.

Des: I only have your tutorials to thank for any modest success I've had in learning how to rig. No need to look over your shoulder yet though as I'm still an awful long way behind yet.  ;D

Pete: How do you get a tea light in-between the rigging? I'd have the whole kite on fire in no time!  :o

RAG III: I'll keep those incense sticks in mind. Saaay, you weren't at Woodstock in a flower-power microbus were you?  ;D

Paddy: We should never lose sight of the fact that this is just a hobby. I learned a long time ago to laugh at myself.

Today I installed the tail assembly. Rather than torture myself with the tricolour decals for the rudder, I took the easy way out and masked and painted it. I still have to paint the rigging so it's difficult to see in these images, but it's there! I also added the undercarriage and I used two part epoxy for that job to ensure everything is good and sturdy. I'll brace it tomorrow.

All of a sudden, the old girl is starting to take shape.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Very much. She looks wonderful!!

Steve

Offline N.C.S.E

More excellent work.

Is it just the picture or is the fuselage glossier red at the front then at the back?
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
A few more steps Chris and she will be done, it is looking really good now.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
  Chris,
Beautiful work my old friend. It won't be long now and she'll be a done deal.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline phs Paddy

Top drawer Chris. She's looking right smart.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Chris Johnson

More excellent work.

Is it just the picture or is the fuselage glossier red at the front then at the back?

It's just light and shadow playing its usual tricks.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Taking shape indeed!  This is a great build and thread.  Really nice to see it all come together...

Keep posting,

Dan

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Chris,
   What do you use to paint your rigging? If there's one "code I need to crack" that's it; just plain unhappy with results to date. I've tried both enamal and acrylics, thinner, thicker, and in between and also various permanent markers. Any advice most welcome. Oh, and she's still looking very good!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

Chris,
   What do you use to paint your rigging? If there's one "code I need to crack" that's it; just plain unhappy with results to date. I've tried both enamal and acrylics, thinner, thicker, and in between and also various permanent markers. Any advice most welcome. Oh, and she's still looking very good!
Cheers,
Lance

I use Mr. Color 'Steel' which is a lacquer. Again, I have to give credit where credit is due as it was Des who tipped me to it. He actually uses Mr. Color 'Stainless Steel' but my LHS doesn't have that colour, so this was the next best thing. I dip my brush in lacquer thinner and then into the paint and it flows on very nicely, and dries almost instantaneously. It put an end to those unsightly globs that I used to end up with from Tamiya or Humbrol paint.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Hi Chris,
 You have tickled the old girl into shape and tickling great she looks - well done!

Von Buckle  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline keith_christie

Really nice Chris,
You have made a cracking job if getting this together, I know that the Roden kits are not the easiest of builds.
Keep up the good work, your nearly at the finish line.

Best Regards

Keith