Author Topic: CSM 1/48 injection moulded Dolphin is on the way  (Read 1162 times)

Offline ermeio

CSM 1/48 injection moulded Dolphin is on the way
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:17:04 PM »
After asking a lot and advising Edgar about some pitfalls,
 I received a pre-production sample of the new CSM injection molded Dolphin for my collection
 Well, as you know I am a collector in first place, so I did not dare open the plastic bag enclosing the frets, also since I know that CSM has asked their subcontractors to revise some details on this casting, to improve the quality and the overall fidelity.
I think that this kit is worth a look anyway, even if in a pre-production state.

Here are some shots:

I found that this is a very nice model, finely casted and well detailed:

In some respects at first sight they resemble a reduced scale WNW. Even the quality of the plastic is the same and I hope they will switch to 1/32 at least for some small models like this Dolphin: given that the WNW Camel is behind the corner, this one would be a great companion.

er me

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: CSM 1/48 injection moulded Dolphin is on the way
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 11:56:17 PM »
Thanks for posting this, ermeio. I'm looking forward to this release very much, and it may well mean I can put the old Blue Max back in the box for a while.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 02:20:55 AM »
Thanks Ermeio for posting the pics.

Certainly looks good and very tempting to get one versus waiting for WNW to do one ! 

It would be a gamble for Edgar at CSM to jump to 1/32 with a "complete kit" to compete with the ...big gorilla. CSM primary products are 1/48 with just misc. detail parts  for 1/32 and 1/28--which are VERY good. Edgar's earlier announcement about a 1/28 N. 28 would not have to fear a competitor. To be successful on a new kit: be First or be Better,  preferably both, WNW has shown that both is extremely good  and Better -- even at a slightly higher price will sell.
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:52:31 AM »
This has been a much anticipated kit and will prove very popular, there are a lot of modelers out there waiting the release of this kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:58:26 AM »
i think copper state should stay with 1/48 for the most part when it comes to complete kits. with wingnut wings at the helm giving 1/32 guys more than they ever thought they would get it would be silly for another company to grab for that piece of pie.if the challenging company doesnt equal or outdo wingnut wings they wont have great sales. true the more the merrier in a way but say copper state puts out a dolphin in 1/32 then wingnuts does , then all the time,money and effort was wasted because the investment would be lost. think of roden with their sopwith triplane and dh-2 ,once wingnuts released theirs roden was dropped like a hot potato.rodens investment in the molds has now been wasted because their kits are not as nice and priced right below wnw cost. roden wised up and dropped out of 1/32 WWI. 1/48 on the other hand is virgin territory. noone is doing any 1/48 WWI injection kits, we only have what was once released by companies like eduard, roden and a few others.from a buisness standpoint copper state is doing the smart thing. as overly critical as many 1/32 WWI modellers are it has been proven if a kit is not as good or better than a wnw kit it gets criticized and doesnt sell in large numbers. true there are still modellers out there who are more concerned with which type of aircraft they want to build rather than how easy the kit is to build but they(we) are the minority .none of this was said to ruffle anyones feathers and nothing is pointed at anyone in particular this is just what i have noticed in the past 5 years. i own many kits in 1/72,1/48, wnw,1/32 roden etc and i love modelling so if i have to nip and tuck to make a nice model that is just all the more fun.so to me copper state is going about it right,1/48 kits and accessories for all scales.

THE PRECEDING IS JUST MY OPINION ,it is just me responding with my thoughts and is no way intended to upset anyone.

Offline xmald

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:27:42 AM »
I agree with ALBATROS1234!
The Dolphin looks extremely good and I can`t wait to get my hands on it. Is the release date known yet?
Best regards
Filip

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 07:56:20 AM »
Well said Scott.

Imho people here are on the same wavelengths, as I have not seen the flame wars that have plagued other sites.

Correct also in that any new foray into 1/32 would be a very dicey venture and subject matter VERY carefully considered, much like Richard has done with the Balilla and the Pfalz Dr I.

And yes, sad in a way that WNW is so good that it has pushed Roden out (if they had done the D VII as their First kits they may have weathered the storm longer), but encouraging that WNW is continuing to bring out new kits and hopefully the ones each of us (for me a Dolphin) want in the near future.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 08:25:51 AM »
   You nailed it, Scott. I`m exclusively a 1:32 Scale Guy and the Dolphin is right up there on my wish list but in all fairness, for CSM or any of the other smaller businesses to release one to be followed by a WNW version it would be a disaster for the smaller guy. These smaller businesses THAT SUPPORT OUR HOBBY SO VERY WELL need to keep business considerations firmly in the front of priorities to survive. I for one have enough in my stash to keep me happy until, if ever, the the Dolphin hits the shops.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »
Hi Edgar,
but don't forget the 1/48 scalers, please ...
I'm waiting impatiently for your Caudron in this scale :)
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline xan

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 11:34:57 PM »
I'm waiting impatiently for your Caudron in this scale :)
I am too  ;)
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 01:15:10 AM »
Yes there are still many devoted 1/48,modeller with none doing any kits and accessories for us. What I meant was it will be much harder to compete with WNW and in my opinion some 1/32 modellers have become spoiled and don't want anything that involves having to modify,correct or upgrade anything.and looking at rodents experience of having released kits only to have WNW put out the same types ruined their sales projections.it has been speculated for some time that WNW may be working on a dolphin so I was only saying to be cautious.1/48 modellers are used to short run and older kits,we mostly have to modify and correct our kits and are happier with less as long as its a good subject.from what I have seen more than a few 1/32 modelers don't want to touch it if it's not WNW.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 03:53:46 AM »
Scott, I agree with what you are saying for the most part. Anyone venturing into 1/32 at this point better bring their "A game". From what I've seen, CSM is making models on par with WNWs so they could do well in 1/32. They aren't producing kits that need a lot of corrections, rebuilding, sanding and filling like the Roden kits. I wouldn't mind seeing some more French subjects that WNW seems to be completely neglecting. A line of Nieuports starting with the 11 would be at the top of my list. I'd buy that in a second!

George

Offline ermeio

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 04:45:38 AM »
Just to confirm that what I saw for the Dolphin is at pair with WNW quality.
Eduard made a giant leap with their SSW DIII, but it is short run.
CSM Dolphin is not short run .  it is fully fledged and up to date injection moulding.
like Hasegawa, revell and WNW

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 08:53:11 AM »
. I for one have enough in my stash to keep me happy until, if ever, the the Dolphin hits the shops.
Cheers,
Lance
[/quote]

I'm with you Lance !!
Ed

unless Edgar did a Dolphin in 1/28 (it would fit with the 1/28 N. 28 he has "floated")  wingspan would 13.92 inches, the 1/28 D VII is 12.5"(his announced 1/28 Mercedes and BMW engines) so combined with Revell kits  (Camel, SPAD, DR. I) makes for a nice collection in its own niche.

But Edgar has also hinted at a 1/32 in another Thread ( 1/48 Fk.8 ) and that it would be one that he would have to have lots of info available to make it worthwhile, to match what he is doing in 1/48- meet our (& his) expectations-what wonders are we in for ???
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:37:46 AM by dr 1 ace »

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »
i see what you mean, george, if the kits are of the same quality of wnw perhaps 1/32 modellers would venture into this territory, its hard for me to judge as i have not laid eyes on copper state injection models, the original copper state when eric higte was of mixed quality, the masters were decent but many times the castings were misaligned and most small parts were unuseable,at least on most of my examples of the old csm. when they got new management and re-furbished the masters and did high quality resin casting inline with todays standards was a great improvement, now we have edgar who seems to be taking the company to the next level. to tell the truth i expected quality inline with newer eduard (oeffag albatros and ssw d.iii)and perhaps the gaspatch salmson for the new csm fk-8 and dolphin.which is very acceptable to me and surely most if not all 1/48 modellers.but i was just sounding off a note of caution because for one thing i would hate to see edgar spread himself too thin financially by putting out to many products at once and investing too much money for this small section of aircraft modelling. there is also something i have noticed recently where "some" of the newer modellers to enter into the WWI era of aviation modelling are mainly 1/32 wnw enthusists more so than actual WWI aircraft enthusists who enjoy modelling and i have heard criticism of kits that right before wnw were considered amazing and groundbreaking. i have seen comments aluding to the fact that they dont want to touch anything but wnw and also wishing for wnw to do new kits of already existing "nice" 1/32 kits. this has the effect of further pushing all the others out of 1/32 because they would not get a large portion of buisness.i think its a shame becausse to me modelling is art and art takes work. i do not wish to smear what gives another modeller happiness,if one is happy building oob wnw kits then by all means please do and be proud of your hobby. but i think in all of wnw glory there is something lost in the average build.yes there are many guys taking wnw kits up even further by scratchbuilding embellishments and am products. people like bo,george,bertl and des pop into my head although there are several other greats. to me in my opinion this is when its brought almost to the level of fine art. this is what i strive for, i enjoy 1/48 kits mainly because there are imperfections that i must research and correct, there are sometimes slight dimensional errors that are fun to make work as well as sanding and scraping and endeless hours under an optivisor adding those small extras that only someone who studies hard like you will notice. i have seen several wnw kits at shows and they usually look alike.what i mean is if you build an oob albatros d.v with scheme "a" it looks just like the other guy down the roads d.v scheme "a".not to sound like a broken record but this is all fine and power to every modeller but i personally am of the opinion that i enjoy seeing those builds that are obviously modified to the point where it is more an independant work of art than an assembled kit. i hope you guys get what i am trying (hopefully succesfully) to say. and i hope noone gets offended as i am just voicing how i see our little world. anyway if i were in the position of owning a company that produced ww1 aircraft i would be cautious about going against wnw.to my eye they have not only got the market cornered in 1/32 but the way they do it being the designer,producer and mrketer they have basically been wholesaling their product to us.this is why a roden albatros is $50 to $60 and wnw is $69. if wnw sold kits like every other company by selling their products to hannants and squadron the wnw albatros would be more like $100. just this mns somewhat educated opinion.