Author Topic: 1:32 Fokker D.III Available Again!  (Read 35362 times)

Offline Flugzeugwerke

Re: 1:32 Fokker D.III (M19F/Early) Available Now
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 12:01:34 PM »
Quick and dirty test assembly of some major components...

Offline IvotB

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 01:23:54 AM »
Nice to get an even better impression. My prints are expected to arrive in 2 weeks, so I'll have to be patient. Perhaps in advance I might try to build the TaurusModels Oberursel U.III first. I hope there is some paint advice on this forum somewhere.

I'm also considering the use of Japan silk, I just don't know if it will have too much or to coarse texture for 1:32. The other possibility is paper, but then the texture will be missing.

I was thinking about shrink wrapping too, but then with a product like oracover. I'm a little bit afraid that the application will melt the 3D print.

The 3D print however looks so good that one might get tempted to make 2 Fokker D.III's. One covered and one without :)

regards,
Ivo

P.S., I ordered the strut smasher as well. That will be a nice tool for making a number of struts. I also don't have an idea yet how to attach the rigging.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 04:23:14 AM »
Have you tryed a fiberglass scratch pen to defuzz parts.I use on all the time to polish out inperfections .it acts as a fine grit sandpaper but is about 3/16" round.

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 04:28:15 AM »
Have you tryed a fiberglass scratch pen to defuzz parts.I use on all the time to polish out inperfections .it acts as a fine grit sandpaper but is about 3/16" round.

No! Great tip (no pun intended). Will have to look into that.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »
i will be saving my pennies for one of these.havent decided on early or late yet but i will be geting one.this is perfect for early type planes for that sweet see thru effect. whats next?pfalz e.v, morane saulnier type "N" or"L" perhaps a taube or caudron g.iii. maybe otto 1913 biplane or anything from those magnificent men(bristol boxkite or avro triplane/biplane) there so may possiblities.what about just the wings and tail feathers to upgrade the wnw fokker e.ii/iii

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 11:08:21 AM »
Just Landed -- revised accessory sprue A

elevator frames, rudder frame, interplane strut fairings (x8), landing gear strut fairings (x4), front support for Oberursel U.III, tail skid, seat frame, wheel centers (no tires), landing gear "knuckles", upper wing center panel.

All Fokker D.III parts still specially priced until 3/15

p.s. still hard at work on the assembly manual, time has been scarce lately though due to some bumps in the road of life....

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 12:45:59 AM »
An unsolicited reaction from a customer who purchased the D.III kit:

Very nice! Today, I received my Shapeways order and I'm thrilled with the results. I'm no stranger to products, print methods, cost and limitations. I always pay for the highest resolution offered. Having said that, While this is pricey, it is as good as anything I've purchased from them. If you did nothing but put this together, it is a fantastic little structure. Anything you add will just make it that much better. Haven't even soaked these parts yet, but my initial response is a product that exceeded my expectations.

Offline dtomko

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 04:41:57 AM »
Must resist the urge to cross over to 1/32 . . . .

Drew

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 03:37:46 AM »
A Provisional version of the assembly manual is now available online here

Offline Ernie

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 03:50:43 AM »
Congratulations Bo!  Wonderful work, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
...What could possibly go wrong?

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 04:05:19 AM »
I think      a round of applause is needed for your pioneering efforts in expanding our modelling horizons!!! I dont know you personally sir,but I salute you.I am contemplating buying your wonderful creation and wondering if I can make it fly.If the all up weight is below 16 grams it might   fly?

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 05:05:34 AM »
I think      a round of applause is needed for your pioneering efforts in expanding our modelling horizons!!! I dont know you personally sir,but I salute you.I am contemplating buying your wonderful creation and wondering if I can make it fly.If the all up weight is below 16 grams it might   fly?

Yes, a round of applause!! Bo has been an inspiration to me personally and has pushed me to explore areas I never would have before. Thanks, Bo!

George

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 06:22:54 AM »
cheers guys :)

Maybe? Weight-wise it will be very close. A painted (6 coats of Krylon), skinned & decalled wing panel comes in at 3g on my (not extremely precise) kitchen scale -- the bare structure for one wing panel is 1g. All the bare parts piled on are about 15g. There are some you could leave off...

The covered wing panel is actually pretty strong -- obviously I haven't tested in to destruction but it certainly seems rigid and strong enough for flight.

But certainly no guarantees from me that this would work or is even a good idea!

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 08:41:03 PM »
Thanks Bo for the reply.It may well get of the ground but its flight characteristics may well be fast and eratic,so maybe not such a good idea.Thank's anyway.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 11:54:36 PM »
Hello,
incredible work! I followed these developments for a while and I'm blown away. Are there any possibilities to reduce these 3D graphics for 1/48builders too? I'd print me a Fokker, if it were possible :)
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.