Author Topic: 1:32 Fokker D.III Available Again!  (Read 35363 times)

Offline Flugzeugwerke

1:32 Fokker D.III Available Again!
« on: February 12, 2016, 02:36:10 AM »
Just landed -- Fokker D.III Early, Mid & Late.

The model currently consists of 6 sets of parts, 4 of which are needed for a particular version. Each set is available in either the regular grade material (FUD) or the premium grade (FXD). (Parts shown in the photo are the regular grade.)

FUD or FXD -- How to choose?
If you are planning on covering the model with tissue paper (or something else), there is no point in paying extra for wings and fuselage. Accessory Set A also features several parts that will be covered in such a scenario, thus you really only have to decide whether to spend the extra on Accessory Set B. Otherwise, there is unquestionably a difference in quality, but the difference is not great and I have done my best to design the parts so that they are easy to clean up.

Note: Since this was originally posted, Shapeways has revised their pricing structure. Unfortunately these large models have increased substantially in cost as a result.

product               sku                 link                                 price (regular/FUD)        price (premium/FXD)
1:32 Fokker D.III Early FuselagePZFLLT7NKhttp://shpws.me/LzMy$35.49$59.99
1:32 Fokker D.III Mid/Late FuselageHAPC9MY68http://shpws.me/LXAY$50.99$87.99
1:32 Fokker D.III Early/Mid (M19F) WingsCDCF269Q4http://shpws.me/LzMJ$62.49$97.49
1:32 Fokker D.III Late (M19K) Wings25W7B6SNRhttp://shpws.me/LXB9$65.99$101.49
1:32 Fokker D.III Accessories A*7UBXWFZERhttp://shpws.me/LzMs$45.99$68.49
1:32 Fokker D.III Accessories B3**5XAVYJYAZhttps://www.shapeways.com/product/5XAVYJYAZ$27.99$36.99
1:32 Fokker D.III Accessories B4 & B5**UPESLGAN9https://www.shapeways.com/product/UPESLGAN9$19.99$26.99

*Accessory set A as shown has since been redesigned and includes a few more parts. See post below.

** Accessory set B has been broken into two skus to take best advantage of Shapewas new pricing system. See post near end of thread for pictures.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:13:17 AM by Flugzeugwerke »

Offline Flugzeugwerke

Re: 1:32 Fokker D.III (M19F/Early) Available Now
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:39:39 AM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:36:23 PM by Bo »

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »
Accessories set A -- prototype version shown,  superseded by this.

parts shown are upper wing center panel, elevator frames, rudder frame, interplane strut fairings, forward support for Oberursel U.III. Not shown but to be included in this set are: seat frame, wheels (minus tires) landing gear leg fairings, landing gear "knuckles" and tail skid.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:37:14 PM by Bo »

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:20:22 AM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:35:14 PM by Bo »

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:26:57 AM »
Great!  Just ordered an Oberursel Ur.III from WNW.

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:32:28 AM »
Accessory Set B landed this a.m.

Set consists of forward cowling, upper panel, cheek panels, turtle deck, main fuel tank, reserve fuel tank, ammunition bin & empty cartridge belt trough. Shown printed in the regular FUD grade plastic.

The cowling is fairly thin & designed to clear the Taurus Models Oberursel U.III with room to spare:

Cheek panel:

ammo bin in foreground:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:18:27 AM by Bo »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:51:43 AM »
Bo, what do you recommend to cover these?  Japan tissue, silkspan or something else?  How would you recommend attaching it?  There are lots of tutorials online for applying those coverings to balsa airplanes with dope or craft glue, but I have not found any relating to polymer frames.  Any thoughts, oh Great One? ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 02:52:33 AM »
BTW, thanks so much for providing this beautiful kit!  Much appreciated.  ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 03:26:52 AM »
Bo, what do you recommend to cover these?  Japan tissue, silkspan or something else?  How would you recommend attaching it?  There are lots of tutorials online for applying those coverings to balsa airplanes with dope or craft glue, but I have not found any relating to polymer frames.  Any thoughts, oh Great One? ;)

Regards,

Bob

Well, I guess we are starting a great experiment to see what works best. I'm hoping the other modelers help me stretch the horizons here a bit. George of course is planning on covering a framework with shrink wrap -- not sure if it will work or not, but he got pretty cool results with his pup wing.

Based on my experiments with the cardboard/CA soaked D.III wing prototype, I plan on trying Gampi tissue first, adhered with UHU stick glue and sealed with Krylon Kristal Klear, then covered with Aviattic linen decals.

A great source of balsa/tissue paper modeling supplies and info can be found here:

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/

gampi tissue: http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/parts.htm#gampi

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 03:32:38 AM »
p.s. I don't anticipate any problem with the UHU glue adhering to the primed and painted polymer framework (...famous last words!)

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 05:07:08 AM »
Thanks Bo!  I saw the UHU glue stick used to good effect on one of the tutorials I mentioned.  It may have been from the website you linked. 

This is all kind of exciting.  It will be fun to see how these coverings work out.  Thanks again for making this available. 

I will place my order this afternoon.  I am inclined to go with the premium grade just because I assume the resolution of the parts is a bit finer, but can you please explain the difference a bit for the uninitiated like myself? 

Best Regards,

Bob 

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 05:29:08 AM »
Oh . . .   I just checked the website and found your explanation Bo--no need to further elucidate on the topic of FUD vs. FXD.  :D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »
Some better pics of Accessory set B, post cleaning.

Overview:

Ammunition bin. IMG 08 ammunition from Gaspatch (what comes with the guns) fits. Haven't tried it with Taurus yet.

Fuel / Oil Tank. Filler caps (3 -- 1 spare) are molded on the inside of the front wall to be cut off and repositioned to the top of the (hollow) filler necks.

Forward cowling.

top deck -- looks a little "grainy" in this close up, but I am confident it will clean up nicely.

Main fuel tank. Filler cap is molded on inside of side panel.

Cheek panels. Again, a little TLC needed to defuzz some areas.

Offline radio

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »
Bo
is it possible this acessory set B in 1:48?
As additionary for for the Special Hobby Fokker D II?
Cheers
Martin

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
Bo
is it possible this acessory set B in 1:48?
As additionary for for the Special Hobby Fokker D II?
Cheers
Martin

I don't have that kit, so it's impossible to say at the moment. It isn't just a matter of resizing by 66%, sadly. (Easy to do, but the results wouldn't print ) But as a note, there are many more differences between the D.II and D.III than just the engine / cowling / guns. The wings have different span, chord and stagger (the D.II's are shorter and narrower), the D.II lower longerons are quite differently shaped, and so on.