Author Topic: My first Wingnut Wings model  (Read 3817 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: My first Wingnut Wings model
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 11:43:17 PM »
One question I had was what shape would a patch take? Random, to fit the damage or a nice neat round or square patch? In the end I made them angular and random.

Generally the patches you see in photos are rather neatly applied, but as everything it depended on the skill of the crew and the amount of time they had to carry the work out before the next sortie. Often German aircraft sported little circular roundel patches (british or french) to commemorate bullet strikes from the enemy. WNW even supplies these in many of the kit decal sheets! (Can't rem if it is on the Pfalz D.IIIa sheet). Sometimes the patches were quite crude, too.

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 02:55:54 AM »
That is an excellent build especially as it's your first  WNW. You have every right to be very pleased with what you've achieved. I just hope when I build my first WNW it's anywhere near as good as yours.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 02:21:19 AM »
Extremely nice work! I am working on this kit now and it is not my first WNW kit! I can only hope mine looks as nice in the end! Your seat belts and interior look awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 03:06:24 AM »
Gerg, you did a wonderful job on this first WnW of yours. I have to echo the remarks made by the others - you've got to be congratulated on your model. Currently working on this kit myself, I'm excited to try some new techniques on a silver-grey scheme which I've never tried previously.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Gerg

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »
Bo thanks for the info.

I am going to post info on how I did some of the effects and techniques used.  For this post I will cover how I did the mud. I am only learning skills beyond building a decent model so I am not speaking from authority here. I also know there are a number of ways to get the same results. This is how I did it though.

I used Tamiya Model Masters. Set A

I am new to these weathering sets but so far I really like them. I was able to find them on Amazon for nearly half price with shipping so I will soon have the first 6 sets.  My only hesitation with them is not knowing how much I will get to use them. If I built armor I am sure I would use them a lot but maybe not so much with WWI planes.

I rubbed the Light Sand on the side of the tires and the darker Mud on the bottom. I didn’t like the look. The bottom needed some depth to it. I then scraped a small amount of the mud from the set and put it on my palette. Adding a very small amount of water I made a muddy paste. I applied this to the bottom of the tires.  The light sand on the sides of the tires needed some streaking I felt, so I used a small brush (20/0 spotter) dripped in water then wiped off so it was barely damp, to streak the sides, in an attempt to make it look like mud that had moved across the tire as it was spinning.  After the mud color on the bottom of the tires had dried I coated it with Future/Kleer. I wanted to give the mud mixture more adhesion and also thought that the Future would give it a wet look. With only one coat that did not happen but with another coat it might have.

For the mud splashes on the wing bottom I used the mud paste. I made it a bit more watery, and then using a very small brush, I held the end opposite the bristles and flicked the bristle end. This took a little trial and error.  One thing I really like about the Tamiya Weathering sets is the ability to simply wipe them off with a damp brush or paper towel.  When I got splatters that were too big I used a damp brush to clean them off.
 I made another water paste using the Light Sand and did more splattering to add variation of color.  I did not seal the mud under the wing and it seems stuck on pretty good.

“Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Gerg

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
Rust.

I didn’t have any rust paint (XF9) as the directions called for so I tried to use a red brown paint with artist oils but was not happy with the results. I decided to buy the XF9 but didn’t think it would look much better. After looking at other models on this site I knew rust color paint wasn’t going to cut it. About this time I was busy setting up the xmas tree and I came across RUST. Someone, likely me, had not poured the water out of the stand and over the following year the water dried up and left a rusty powder.  This is strange because the metal seems to be galvanized under the paint.

I removed what I could without getting any debris mixed in.

I had some Vallejo matt varnish and used it to make a rust paint. The varnish required thinning and I experimented with different densities of rust pigment. The rust effect is very controllable by varying the pigment or water added for thinning. 

I have noticed that some on here will hollow out the end of the exhaust. I think that looks very good. I don’t own the right tools at this point to do that so I used a black sharpie to darken the end. Not as good as hollowing out the pipe but I think the effect is not too bad.

I have had my eye out for rust since discovering the rust in the tree stand. A couple weeks after setting up the tree stand I changed the water filter for the house supply. I am on a well and there is a lot of iron in my water. When I changed the filters I poured off most of the water and kept the sediment in the bottom, a sandy rusty mess. I let this settle for a few hours and again poured off the clear water. The rest I poured through a screen filter, onto a sheet of aluminum foil, to let it dry.  I scrapped the dry powder up and added it to the other rust I had.

While on the topic of rust I wanted to share what I have learned about the Tamiya Weathering Sets. I experimented with them and for comparison included actual rust. I used a white index card and also an index card painted black. The Tamiya colors are Rust, Orange Rust and Burnt Red.

I included an extra sample of the actual rust on the white card. It is the one in the middle. I sprinkled dry pigment on the mixture while it was still wet. I wanted to see what a scaly texture would look like. I overdid it with that sample but I think if care was taken a more scale like effect could be achieved.

I have a question for the group. I was not sure how much to rust up the exhaust. I had two thoughts. If the exhaust came from the factory bare (bare steel or bare cast) then it would likely be on the more rusty end of the scale. If it came from the factory painted black then it would gradually become rusty. So the question is: Was the exhaust and intake manifold bare or painted or coated in some other manner?
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 06:58:33 PM »
I'm late for the party on this one but have just read the thread right through. First off Gerg, congratulations on producing a stunning model all round. Though my Camel build nears it's end I have yet to do a Wingnut model and if I can make one half as well as you have then I will be really well pleased.

I also enjoyed reading your detailed descriptions, both on your thought processes and on your techniques - thanks for taking the time to do that. The link to the rigging info is new to me too and that is now safely stored.

I am very much in the same stage in that this is a new kind of model subject to me too and can appreciate your comments vis the weathering and spraying of Future. FWIW I usually weather overall after a model is (more or less) finished but soon realised this would not be possible. I sprayed Future coats as I went along keeping the pressure high at 25 psi and keeping the 'brush well back from the parts. (This mists it on and the degree of gloss build up can be kept to a minimum) I have also basically weathered the parts as they were added but once finished gave an overall wash with white spirit and oil - a filter as you say - being extremely careful not to catch the rigging with the brush. Certainly not as easy as doing it on a jet or WWII model but it evened everything out. I have used white spirit and oil on all my models to date and it will leave a stain in Tamiya paint unless that has been protected with Future - usually though I find this adds to the character of the model providing of course that it's a weathered subject one is trying to replicate. I'm not intending to 'teach Granny to suck eggs' here Gerg, just to comment that I've discovered the same issues and tried to tackle them as they arose. Looks like my learning curve is as steep as yours.

The discovery of rust 'pigment' (for free) is enlightening - how much more authentic can it be and the results speak for themselves. I can't answer your question re painting of the original as I don't know but the effect is certainly very convincing.

Like you I too have a growing unintended stash of WnW - I look forwards to hearing of your future exploits with them and, as said,  hope I can get to grips with mine with an outcome as good as yours.

Well done indeed :)

Regards - Tug

Offline Gerg

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »
Tug,
I am happy you stopped by my thread.  I may not have come across your build otherwise (at least for some time). I have spent a great deal of time perusing multiple forums across multiple genres in order to come up to speed but I haven't yet delved too deep into the builds on this forum. I have to say after seeing yours I am very happy to know about it. I have been looking for just that very thing. Very detailed and like you said, you include your thought process. At the stage I am at the level of detail you are including is of great help (for that matter at any stage). I read some of the early posts and had to skip to the end to see where you are at in your build. The Camel is looking awesome. I am looking forward to reading the entire post.
― Bertrand Russell

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 01:57:49 AM »
Nicely done and great info on the mud and rust.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 04:02:04 AM »
Nicely done and great info on the mud and rust.

Ed

I agree with my Amigo 100%. Now I just have to go outside and around the house looking for rusty metal things  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 06:28:22 AM »
Beautiful model, well done.

Cool tip about the rust pigment, I'm going to try that.
Robert