Early OAW, Black Wing Stripes, red fuselage, black nose
5 (11.1%)
Early Fokker built, Red wing stripes,, red fuselage, black nose
13 (28.9%)
Early Fokker built, black wing stripes, red fuselage, black nose
1 (2.2%)
No black nose at all
5 (11.1%)
Stripes on upper and under surface of top wing ( either Version,Fokker or OAW)
12 (26.7%)
Other options such as black fuselage
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: January 09, 2016, 04:30:17 AM

Author Topic: Udets Du Doch Nicht: Manufacturer and Markings  (Read 7071 times)

Offline miamiangler

Re: Udets Du Doch Nicht: Manufacturer and Markings
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
Here`s my version done years ago with the 1/48 th DML kit

IMO the stripes were red . look at the photo from Red Baron . wing and tail colors look the same , now look at Udet`s boots which are black ,I`m guessing :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:16:14 AM by miamiangler »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 11:25:36 PM »
Willi,
Thanks for sharing that gorgeous DML Udet bird! Also thanks for the Opinion on Udets Du Doch Nicht!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »
Red Stripes, red fuselage.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 01:15:27 AM »
Thanks for the input Ed. I notice you were somewhat non committal on the Manufacturer  8)
Also thanks to all who have voted. The results continue to be interesting, at least to  me  ;D
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 01:58:06 AM »
Thanks for the input Ed. I notice you were somewhat non committal on the Manufacturer  8)
Also thanks to all who have voted. The results continue to be interesting, at least to  me  ;D
RAGIII

As for the colors the black of the cross is in contrast to the stripes/fuselage so Red , as for mfg.-Not sure, even Dan San was not on that part, so it leaves it up to each to decide.
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 07:42:56 AM »
RAGIII

As for the colors the black of the cross is in contrast to the stripes/fuselage so Red , as for mfg.-Not sure, even Dan San was not on that part, so it leaves it up to each to decide.

I was just kidding around about the Manufacturer Amigo  :D If you take a look at my CURRENT opinion I too was NON COMMITTAL! I agree that it is more or less up to the individual Modeler to decide. I find the results so far to be rather interesting. I will discuss this much more when the Poll closes in January.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 11:30:06 PM »
Twenty Five Members have now voted  8) This is actually more than I expected so I am quite pleased. Of course that makes me want even more  :o  So far the results are still exceedingly  close...as expected, sort of.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:06:36 AM by RAGIII »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 01:23:00 AM »
The Poll ends today. Still time to vote  8)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:42:36 AM by RAGIII »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »
Ok the poll has been closed now for a few days and it is time for a little discussion. I appreciate those who took time to take part in my Unofficial, poorly Phrased and entirely Non Provable Poll  ::)

Of the two Major schools of thought on this bird the results were to me interesting. Early Fokker built proved to be the Winner with 14 votes: 31.17% Those who voted Fokker were decidedly in favor of red stripes on the wing, 13 votes for 28.9 % with only 1 vote for black stripes, 2.2%. To me this represents what I would call the "Old School version" 

The OAW built option was a close Second with 13 votes for 29.04%. What I found interesting was that the OAW school was split with 8 votes for red stripes 17.87%, and 5 for black 11.17%. Thus it seems those going with the newer school of thought ( OAW),are a little more open to the newer idea than those following the "Old School"( Fok.) version. Still over half thought red and white were correct.

Now for the black nose. This is where I really screwed up in that I did not split this up between versions so although 5 people feel that there was no black nose I have no idea which version was their preference. Still this shows a majority feel that a black nose was present.

Stripes on both surfaces of the wings got 12 votes, 26.7%, but again I failed to differentiate between red and white and black and white

One modeler also voted for "Other Options" such as a balck fuselage. Although most taking the poll do not agree this is a viable option and I appreciate the person who cast the vote!

My final thought on how I will model this bird are:
Early OAW built:
1. Light wing rib tapes on the lower wing which were rarely seen on early Fokker DVIIs.( If at all)
2. Jasta 4 was primarily if not completely equipped with OAW birds at this time thus making this a more likely option.

Red and White Stripes on both surfaces of the wings:
1. No real proof either way but assuming Udet followed Kirschsteins example I favor this option.
2. Red because I feel Udet would want to avoid any possible confusion with Kirschsteins Jasta 6 bird being flown at the time.

Red fuselage with Black Nose:
1. I feel that Udet would have used the newly instated Jasta marking.
2. I like the traditional red fuselage  ;D , and of course Udet began using red @ this time.

That about covers my thoughts on this one. I would still like to hear from others as to what choices you made and your reasons!
 Thanks again,
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:06:34 PM by RAGIII »

WarrenD

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 02:18:06 PM »
Sounds excellent sir!

Warren

Offline davecww1

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 08:52:46 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me, so you going with blue rib tapes on the OAW lower wings?
Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 09:07:48 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me, so you going with blue rib tapes on the OAW lower wings?
Dave

That is the plan for right now Dave. This one will have to wait until such time as I acquire an OAW version of the DVII. It may be a while as I refuse to pay upwards of $165.00 for one  :(
RAGIII