Author Topic: Modifying an IP  (Read 1109 times)

Offline jknaus

Modifying an IP
« on: November 27, 2015, 07:06:27 AM »
Okay I know this is a simple technique that anyone can do, but I'd like to hear some variations on the theme.
I am starting the Salmson 2-A2 and I want to do what I see here and replace the bezels on the IP with new Bezels. So how do you do it?
My plan at the moment is to sand off the bezels and then paint the ip wood. After that I will place a decal and lay the bezel over top. I was thinking using CA glue but I have read of using future. I have HGW bezels and would like to hear other optios for the process in case there is something easier or that I may not be thinking about right now. Appreciate any feedback on the matter.
James
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:19:30 AM by jknaus »

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Modifying an IP
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:21:59 AM »
That is pretty much the technique as I know it. I use CA to attach the bezels. Then I add Micro Kristal Klear to the inside to simulate the clear glass. Use a toothpick or small brush to apply it and fill the inside of the bezel with a generous but even coat. It is milk colored like PVA, or white glue until it dries, then it is perfectly clear, as the name implies. When done correctly, it really adds a lot to the look of the IP.

George

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
James,
    I'm a fan of the Future technique as it doubles as the adhesive and the lens material. The main reason I switched is that I found I wasn't "fast" enough to get a good placement before the CA set up. It's another method to consider, look for Pledge with Future (by Johnson) at our local Wally Mart here if you decide to try it. Blue label and cap. I use it full strength for this and also for a gloss coat before decals using a wide brush. Once the bezel is on several drops can be put in between drying for an hour or so to build up a thick lens.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »
The only thing I have done differently is to attach the bezels using a white PVA craft adhesive, slightly thinned with water if necessary. This seems to work for me since the glue has plenty enough strength to keep these very light parts in place and also allows for easy adjustment in situ.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline jknaus

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »
Thanks. Usually I use Future as the glass, but never as an adhesive. I'll give that a try, and white glue and ca and see which I like best. Looking forward to trying a few things on this build that I've read about but never done before.
James

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 02:03:05 AM »
James - just to say I have used Future a lot for 'fixing'. Either on the film and etch type dash provided in Aires cockpits or using single decals and bezels. I also use it to apply decals generally with good results.

Although it may not be relevant I also found that to prevent cellulose primer or acrylic paint from flaking off the smooth surfaces of etch or wire parts a coat of Future (known as Kleer in the UK) acts as a good bond before priming and painting.

Hope that's of use - Tug

Offline jknaus

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 02:42:08 AM »
Yes thank you. I've always used a primer on pe, never thought to use future. I think the new name here is Kleer also.
Again thanks everyone. Hope to have something to show you soon.
James

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »
i much like lance use future as it gives you time to adjust the position. i even use it to attach pe doors and access panels. it shirinks away to nothing leaving no chance of glue seepage. the only thing i can add is after i spray clear varnish over to permanently set the parts. future usually holds well but on a couple of occaitions a bezel has fallen off. i use rattle can testors dullcoat. after this is dry i use the future to fill the bezel and simulate a glass lens.