Author Topic: Mark IV Male  (Read 2437 times)

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Mark IV Male
« on: December 02, 2015, 06:53:26 AM »
here is one I have finished trying to re kick-start the hobby after moving house. A great kit, this is the first edition Takom release without the easy tracks. The tracks are very hard to do and no-one will ever see them, so get the later releases with the easy tracks!!

please be kind, it has been a long time since I did some armour and this is my first one with some serious mud!

This is the new hobby corner, with a spay booth and a brand new airbrush. decided to get a new Badger 100 to replace my aeging Harder & Steenbeck Infinity

and this is the one I heve trying to build whole moving house, never a good idea... It is almost done, but has been almost done for 6 months.. I only have to respray the entire tail section while it is already rigged.. should be some before the end of this month but I have promised myself that 3 times already

thanks for watching

Michael Scarborough

Re: Mark IV Male
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:12:17 AM »
Well, I am no expert on armor but this looks to me to be a very convincing job of the weathering of a tank that has seen a lot of action in the mud. The wear on the tracks, the chipping (particularly on the left side front), the pin washes around the rivets...and the exhaust. It all looks convincing and realistic to me eye. I think you're to be congratulated for the build particularly as it was done while moving. And keep going on the Bristol as well...finish line is in site...aim for a Christmas finish!

And, congrats on the new work set up. I wish mine were that bright an area!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 07:17:39 AM »
You have done a super job with the tank, I hope mine turns out half as good.

Great work set-up, plenty of space and lots of light.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Kreston

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:42:39 AM »
Nice work on the tank and nice workbench...mine is cluttered and crowded!
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline hiddeous1973

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:41:04 PM »
For the most I am happy how he turned out, some parts are a bit overdone (mostly the underside, which I will not show).
But the underside wasalso mostly used as a testing place for the mud!!

I used the mig pigments in layers, for the heavy mud combined with gypsom powder and Mig acrylic resin. You get a thick goop that adhears realy well, but is impossible to remove..
Great for adding texture, but very important to test the aplication. The same mis with some water makes for a sort of wash that works really well on tracks.

I basicly followed this line of sequences http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/10/takom-wwi-british-mkiv-male-part-2.html

but changed the basic colours into a 50/50 mix of Tamiya flat earth and wood deck tan, which is a better base coat colour then the one suggestet by Takom

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 05:31:09 PM »
Nicely done, I like it.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »
Personally I really like your work on this one! Those Tanks went through an awful amount of Mud in their campaigns! The worn off insignia and paint chips look spot on to me! JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48:26 AM »
This makes me happy to see the tanks rolling in to help out the air corps! :) Very we'll done. Nice and muddy as they should be!

George

Offline radio

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 06:41:59 AM »
It looks very nice.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 09:39:02 AM »
That's a lovely (dirty) Tank and (clean) workspace :) hiddeous1973.  I don't have any Tommy tanks but I appreciate your modelling skills, nice share.
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 12:58:01 AM »
Loved that mobile muddy parallelogram ever since I was a kid.Very convincing,Bravo!

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 04:57:20 PM »
Hi - love the Mk IV (and the Bristol!)   

Just wanted to ask a question re: the tracks... did you have the version with the 900 odds parts and if so, did you use these or go with the suggested option of just gluing the individual tracks together (the 'non-movable' option) and did this work ok? 

Also, a bit of a school boy question, but did you need to paint any of the beast as you went, or is it easier to just build the whole thing and paint (eg are there any really awkward bits that would be better painted/primed during construction)?

any help appreciated - it all seems new and a bit daunting... no buckles or thread in sight....

cheers

FF

Offline hiddeous1973

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 05:36:24 PM »
I had the version with the difficult track links...
Nearly impossible to do, as you have to glue 4 tiny pieces on each track link and when they are out by a fraction, you get an uneven run of track-links.

I used the easy option of gluing the empty track-links directly on the kit, there are a few places where this shows, mostly the thight curves on the front and the back. I had some links build up to try them out and the ones that worked (more or less...) I used in these places, you would need about 24 links that way (4x 6 links to go around each corner)

The rest of the links were glued directly and they work ok, they need plenty of extra thin cement to go on and glued to the tank and each other, so that needs to be done before painting.

I had put it all together before any paint was laid down, went ok. There are some spots you can not reach easy on the back, there are some parts that overlap.I used some extra mud here to hide that! Next time I would paint first and then complete the build in that section alone, the rest is good to paint when the build is complete.

The tracks do take some time to paint, as you need to mask the rest of the tank, just takes a lot of time and masking tape, but not to hard to do.

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
thanks so much - very useful.  I'll follow your approach with making a portion of the complex  links as suggested.

cheers

FF

WarrenD

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 05:22:46 AM »
Be kind?  Are you kidding?  I think it looks great, especially since it's an armor kit whose track construction (I think) would drive one crazy.

Well done sir!

Warren