Author Topic: JB spark plugs  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Fathom

JB spark plugs
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
J B Spark plugs- Gentlemen, I have seen 1/24th sparkplugs for autos substitutued for spark plugs in 1/32nd scale WW1 model aircraft engines. Pleae raise hands of all that think that this is an reasonably accuurate representation.
Were the plugs in Mercedes and BMW engines that much larger than in my Subaru? If so Okay!
Please let me know.
 Wow..I'll be happy.
Fathom

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: JB spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »
I have both these and the Taurus resin jobs made esp for this purpose. To me the Taurus plugs look more the part -- a liitle bit squatter than modern plugs.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:30:49 PM by UncleTony »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:34:10 PM »
I use RB Motion's (1/24) plugs on my 1/32 builds; really like them a lot! At this size they appear (to my eye) very representative.
  Not the best photo, but here they are on my 160 PS Mercedes (WNW) for the DV I'm slowly working on presently:

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »
For a more accurate to scale plug the Taurus spark plugs win hands down, but the RB plugs are also quite good. The only problem with the RB plugs is that they of a modern style and not really appropriate for the WW1 engines. I wrote to RB Motion some time ago asking if he would make 1:32 scale plugs, he never got back to me.
The first photo shows a WW1 aero spark plug, note the squat appearance, the second photo shows a 1920's auto plug, similar to the modern day plug but still not as long.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
I am very happy with the JB sparkplugs. The quality of the molding (turning) is spot on. I will probably try the Taurus spark plugs sometime as well

Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 12:32:29 AM »
I've yet to try either set of plugs. Before I try either one, can someone answer the following?

1) Which plug is the larger of the two? From the image in Des' review of the Taurus plugs, they are incredibly small and frankly, I'm not sure that my dexterity is up to the task of using them.

2) How do you attach the plug leads to these plugs with any strength? When I use 0.5mm tubing, I can feed the end of a length of lead wire into the tube and super glue it in place, which results in a clean looking, very strong joint which is useful when manipulating the wires.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 01:06:22 AM »
Chris,
   Same experience as well; I simply use a tiny "glob" of thick CA which appears OK however I'm constantly popping them off as the rest of the work progresses. My first efforts were with tiny pieces of insulated wire with the insulation striped from the outer end, same problem. Looking at the photo from Des I think I'll be looking into the Taurus Version, very impressive!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »
I tried to take a picture of the two plugs (RB Motion machined metal and Taurus resin) but my camera batteries were dead this morning. Will do so therefore when I get back.

To answer your first question Chris, the rbmotion plugs are about twice as long as the Taurus plugs but noticeably skinnier. Both styles are tiny!

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:34:16 AM »
Here are some detail shots of the spark plugs on two restored Mercedes engines on TVAL Albatros reproductions. Some of them show a TVAL logo

Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline southpier

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:40:39 AM »
anyone have a link to the JB or Taurus plugs? RB Motion i found.

thanks

Offline Chrupek

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 03:42:01 AM »
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:04:36 AM by Chrupek »
Marcin Chrupek Chruscielewski
IPMS Silesia/IPMS Polska

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 04:44:49 AM »
I believe "JB" is a typo, I am pretty sure the OP meant "RB" -- or maybe I'm wrong.

I am reminded that I was going to post pics of the two products side by side -- will try to do that tonight.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
Um, better late than never -- here are the Taurus and RB Motion plugs side by side. Taurus now makes a "slim" late version plug as well.

Offline southpier

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 03:11:59 AM »
speaking of "late" - thank you for the link!

Offline southpier

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 09:59:49 PM »
i think any information is "new" if you didn't know it. thanks for the comparison pictures - very helpful.

now, about the lead connection .... short of attempting to drill a hole, is just "butt joint" gluing the best way around? seems like a mechanical joint would offer more strength in the long run.

thanks again