Author Topic: Review of Merit 1/24 Fokker  (Read 6099 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Review of Merit 1/24 Fokker
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
Dave, points well taken. I hope builders and buyers of this kit will prove my negative impressions wrong.

OTOH, a slightly contrarian viewpoint -- rather than voting with pocketbook on a um, so-so phone-it-in offering in hopes that maybe they'll try harder in the future, I'd rather be spending my dollars keeping the fanatics like WNW, Aviattic, Pheon, Taurus, CSM  etc afloat.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
Happy to endorse your thoughts 100% Bo and respect your observations Rick. The overall quality of WW1 models now- mainstream and aftermarket- is just astonishing and we as WW1 fanatics are all winners.

I am super keen to get up close and personal with the new Copper State Models AW FK.8. So good to see model companies showing confidence in 1/48th again.

Itching to see what Wingnuts pops out for Christmas and keenly awaiting the Eduard SE5a. Then there's that Takom German artillery piece highlighted on the forum a few days back- had to buy that!.,..Now Master Box are turning out brilliant 1/35th sets of WW1 figures..it's all so tempting.

I am very happy to endorse businesses like Aviattic, WnW, Taurus, Pheon and CSM...add in Tommys War, Master Box and Takom too!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
I'd rather be spending my dollars keeping the fanatics like WNW, Aviattic, Pheon, Taurus, CSM  etc afloat
I absolutely agree with Bo's point of view.

S.

Offline sodium

• SPA48 chante et combat
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 01:45:44 AM »
Hello
I have just received the kit and I can say I am happy with it.
Thank’s to the first revue, no deception, I was informed qualities and defaults
My first impression is the quality looks like a Roden kit.
Details are not good enough if you know a little Fokker Dr1, too simplified, but general impression is quite good.
It’s a very good opportunity for little and passionate hobby shop to produce resin parts, photoetched, decals...
The scale is very interesting; I’ll buy probably next SE5 and wait for Spad.
Hannants 55 £ 1/32 Roden, 50 £ 1/24 Fokker Merit, it’s correct
Now, I need an Oberursel …
Thank’s Merit to try to offer us new models
philippe

Offline radio

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 02:51:40 AM »
Philippe,
what is about use a CSM 1:28 scale Oberursel?
Cheers
Martin

Offline sodium

• SPA48 chante et combat
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 05:57:54 AM »
I don’t know the kit and its sizes
but if it was right for the Revell, it's probably too small
philippe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 01:18:12 AM »
Dave, points well taken. I hope builders and buyers of this kit will prove my negative impressions wrong.

OTOH, a slightly contrarian viewpoint -- rather than voting with pocketbook on a um, so-so phone-it-in offering in hopes that maybe they'll try harder in the future, I'd rather be spending my dollars keeping the fanatics like WNW, Aviattic, Pheon, Taurus, CSM  etc afloat.

Bo, well stated! I am thinking that the Engine is a real issue to someone like myself that just isn't capable of scratch building a replacement. So  I MAY hold off to see if Taurus, Aviattic, Copper State etc. Make a replacement ! In the mean time, Aviattic has some awesome figures and other stuff in the pipeline  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 03:52:13 AM »
 I am thinking that the Engine is a real issue to someone like myself that just isn't capable of scratch building a replacement.

RAGIII
[/quote]

Me too. If the engine is wrong (and I don't know that it is), that would be real problematic for me.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 05:20:09 AM »
The engine in the kit clearly appears to depict a Clerget.

Oberursel UR.II

Clerget

Note hump for timing gear at front of Clerget, with two pushrods per cylinder, induction pipes flat in section and entering at rear of cylinder head. Oberursel UR.II has a single pushrod per cylinder situated in  the rear, roundish induction pipes entering sides of cylinder heads, front of crankcase is essentially flat. These are just the gross differences.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 03:03:46 AM »
I just looked at photos posted by Richard of Aviattic from Telford. The last few included shots of this kit built up. The Engine is a Clerget, no doubt in my mind! Otherwise the overall impression is good. JMHO,
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:50:44 PM by RAGIII »

Offline M Dunham

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 02:07:43 AM »
  Having built many of them, it sure looks like they were channeling Revell,circa 1956. But a fantastic base to build upon once the AM gears up for her!

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »
Interesting read here. It appears I may have overlooked a few things on my own review.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)