Author Topic: Auction house items of interest  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Gisbod

Re: Auction house items of interest
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 04:49:54 PM »
A real treasure trove Nigel!

But as Bo says - you have to be so careful!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

WarrenD

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 09:53:31 PM »
Hi folks!  Popping in for a bit as real life has allowed.

- Bonham's, Manion's, etc. Oh yes, during my collecting days I used to look at their catalogs as the grown-up version of the Sears & Roebuck Christmas toy catalog of my childhood. Lot's of good stuff, and yeah, no matter the reputation of the "house", you have to be careful.

-
It is a shame that these items are being auctioned off and not going to museums, but it is the right of the property owner to do what he wants with his collection.
  Des, for many years, I used to think as you do here. However, a couple of decades working with museums & historic sites, mostly as an avocation, but sometimes as a vocation, has dissuaded me of that. Oh! The horror stories I could relate to you if we had a fire to warm our feet and an adult beverage. Believe me when I tell you these items probably stand a much better chance of being viewed and shared in private hands than they will in museums, and probably safer too.

- I saw that last lot, and like a lot of you here, my spidey-sense tingled, and the Gerrard name came instantly to mind. Either someone was trying to get one over on someone else in order to recoup their previous unwise purchase, or someone got taken to the cleaners, and they're only now finding out how badly they got taken. For those of you who aren't familiar with that scoundrel, I'll let some of the Alte Hasse clue you in to the sad, sordid tale of not so long ago.

Warren

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »
By the way, the fully operational M4 Enigma coding machine which someone noted as listed went for USD 365000 to a private bidder.

Best wishes
Nigel

WarrenD

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 08:40:27 AM »
I bet he has fun decoding intercepts and tracking to location of U-boat wolfpacks with that.  ;) ;) ;D 8) :o

Warren

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 12:58:03 AM »
Sorry gents, I just now realized that I never posted about having gone to Bonham's to see this lot of lots.

It was an amazing feeling to stand in a large room and, turning a full circle, be bale to see the Enigma machine, the MvR items, fabric sections of WWI aircraft, instruments, uniforms and flight gear, the original transmission photo of the US Flag being raised on Iwo Jima, an autographed photo of Tojo, a Doolitlle Raider's map, and many, many other items of interest to aero and military history buffs.

This link should take you to an online catalog of the lots:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22965/?category=results#/w0=results&m0=0&aa0=1

Wish I'd had more time to look it all over.

Cheers from NYC, Center of the Universe,
Michael