Author Topic: A snowy Dragon Rapide  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
A snowy Dragon Rapide
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:06:18 AM »
I don't know whether 'Time to Relax' is quite the phrase for this, since I've just made it as a wedding present - yes, the Finnishness was relevant - but I feel compelled to show it off  8) It's the old Heller kit, modified with scratchbuilt skis. I know I've left off the aerial wires but to be honest I reckoned that was asking for trouble. My main regret is wimping out under pressure of time from scratching the generator on the port upper wing. Goodness knows why Heller left it out, it's clearly visible on their cover picture.

Also I wanted to give a shout out to Arctic Decals, who do high standard decals of interesting vintage civil subjects. Not exclusively Finnish! Mika's research is excellent and he's great to deal with. You can find his catalogue on the Aircraft in Miniature site.

I was always partial to the looks of the DH89 but I must say making this has cemented it as one of my favourite aircraft. I wouldn't mind making this for myself one day in a larger scale.

Mark

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: A snowy Dragon Rapide
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:50:48 AM »
  Mark,
Wow great what a great little diorama my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:05:32 AM »
Thanks for your kind comment
Yes I may not have AMS but I seem to have a definite taste for putting planes in a scene of some sort, with the occasional ludicrous detail (like the huge trunk here, which is clearly not going to fit on board)
And planes look great on snow, don't you think?

Mark

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »
Excellent job on the aircraft and the diorama, the decals look great, you have created a very eye catching scene, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:14:48 AM »
Thanks again!
Seeing what he was able to do with AFAIK a laser printer at home, I'm encouraged to have a go at making my own decals for one or two future projects. Though my printer's an inkjet and I gather one has to be more careful with sealing them before putting them near water. We'll see  :)
Anyway, as I said, I'd certainly recommend Arctic Decals.
Mark