Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1:32 Roland C.IIa (Early) Feldflieger-Abteilung (A)292b  (Read 30038 times)

Offline radio

Re: Wingnut Wings 1:32 Roland C.IIa (Early) Feldflieger-Abteilung (A)292b
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »
Outstanding work and paint.
Cheers
Martin

Online FokkerFodder

« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2015, 10:26:24 PM »
A beautiful flying fish... love it.

cheers

FF

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2015, 12:39:34 AM »
I can't say enough about how impressed I am with this build! You have tried and succeeded in using some great new techniques. The prop is just another example!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2015, 02:55:47 AM »
I have to agree with Des that your prop break looks realistic, but it breaks my heart to see you crash such a extraordinary beauty.  I know that with your skills, it'll evolve into an extraordinary dio, still... :'(
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2015, 04:21:17 AM »
    Outstanding results on the broken prop, James, this is as stated earlier an extraordinary Build. You are breaking more new ground on this one model then most of us have in our entire collections, certainly in my case! Keep the wonderful and inspiring work coming, really enjoyable Thread!! :o 8)
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:10:37 PM by lcarroll »

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2015, 04:47:29 AM »
As everyone is saying, great build! The broken prop is very convincing. As for the undercarriage painting, isn't it great what a simple wash can do? It add so much depth and life. What exactly did you use for the wash?

George

Offline FarEast

« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2015, 06:50:48 AM »
I have to agree with Des that your prop break looks realistic, but it breaks my heart to see you crash such a extraordinary beauty.  I know that with your skills, it'll evolve into an extraordinary dio, still... :'(
Cheers,
Bud

Bud!

Never fear - I have worked out away to have this aircraft displayed as crashed or in perfect condition ;)

Offline jknaus

« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2015, 09:35:13 AM »
Its a beautiful model and although I'm sad it wont be whole I am excited to see how it looks when done, very dynamic I think. One thing I would comment on is the position of the prop and I hope you dont mind is I believe even if they cut power and the crate nosed over with the prop in motion it would still make a small furrow and the break would be between 7 and 9 oclock rather than at 3 oclock as shown. Of course I am probably over thinking the process.
James

Offline FarEast

« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
Its a beautiful model and although I'm sad it wont be whole I am excited to see how it looks when done, very dynamic I think. One thing I would comment on is the position of the prop and I hope you dont mind is I believe even if they cut power and the crate nosed over with the prop in motion it would still make a small furrow and the break would be between 7 and 9 oclock rather than at 3 oclock as shown. Of course I am probably over thinking the process.
James

James,

Many thanks for the comments I appreciate all the help you give! - right now I'm just playing around and thinking about how to balance here to create the scene of the actual aircraft I'm replicating:

As you can see from the photo that everything about this bird is unique........ including the crash. This seems to be a classic example of the Roland nosing over on a soft landing - possibly the axle breaking and the aircraft going over as the right side dug in - the wing is intact with no visible damage as it looks like the wing tips didn't even touch the floor.

I think the propeller was probably stationary, the Roland was notorious for going over and as this is an early production C.IIA then I can imagine the pilots were well aware of the hazards of landing and switched off the engine to prevent damaging it if she did nose over.

As only one side is broken it suggest she leaned on it as she went over and the engine weight snapped it, the aircraft nose and part of the fuselage is sat in the furrow, which will help a lot with the positioning.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:17:06 PM by FarEast »

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2015, 01:45:36 PM »
I really respect the amount of research and experimentation, mixed with imagination, that is in evidence here, James-san. I do hope you will consider doing a full on diorama in the nose-down position, as suggested by the photo. You clearly have the skills to do proper groundwork and it would be a real delight to see something both different and well done.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline jknaus

« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2015, 02:49:53 PM »
Okay I got you. I agree, looks like they were shut down and rolled to a nose over as there does'nt seem to be a lot of damage. Man the more I seee of this build the more in awe I am. I really like that prop.
James

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2015, 07:34:17 AM »
Hello James,

you are just killing it!!!! Awesome work, camouflage and that prop are just top notch!!!! ;) Looking forward for more!!!!

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline FarEast

« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »
Thank you Lukas - I also see there has been a huge influx in people purchasing Roland kits! :D

Right small jobs - so after going over the manual for the billionth time I noticed that the tires on the Roland seem to be contoured rubber tires (I never knew these were about in those days but apparently it was very common)

So the idea was to use real natural rubber O' rings that I purchased from Steven Robson (maker of those incredible spoke wheels) However the size I had were too fat  and looked over inflated and perfectly tubular, not the look I was going for!

So after mashing up a quick holder for the Dremel I went about shaping the tires.

Before and After

Then making up some quick masks for the wheel covers I painted up the rest of the wheel.

This is how they look with the standard rubber O-ring without shapping!

And then with the shaped tire!

Then attached to the struts, however these are dry fitted as one will be removed for the crash.

And then dry fitting on the fuselage

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:28:04 PM by FarEast »

Offline radio

« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »
Outstanding work James.
Cheers
Martin

Offline jknaus

« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »
WOW, just WOW. Love it.