Author Topic: 'Papa' Reuschke 1:32  (Read 3742 times)

Offline FarEast

'Papa' Reuschke 1:32
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »
During the build of Fokker LF70 32/15 I decided that I just had to have 'Papa' Reuschke leaning against his machine as seen in the photo. After contacting several very talented sculptors of 1:32 figures I decided that the price tag was a little out of my league and that I should give it a go myself, hey what could go wrong?

Also this project has been stop go, stop go since I completed the LF70, now the DH.2 has stalled due to the pending arrival of the last turnbuckles I came back to 'Papa'

Now I have never tried anything remotely like this before however many of the kind gents I contacted were more than happy to give me a lot of help in the purchase of materials for this, big thank you to Masahiro and Dean who gave a lot of help.

One of the strongest suggestions I received was to convert an already existing miniature for my needs, sadly however there are no Marine-Fliegerabteilung figures so it would mean some heavy modifications.

First off, the miniature to be butchered!

I went for the ModelKasten 'Set B' as it offered me more value for money as not only have I never sculpted figures before, I'd never actually painted them either, this set would give me 3 usable subjects. (sorry nurse)

I choose this set due to the German officer, one hand was already in the pocket and he had the peaked cap and as the model came in 7 pieces it would make modifying the posture easier - well I assumed it would.

The first job was to cut the figure at the knees and ankles removing about 1mm of material by sanding - I then made the posture easier to manipulate by rejoining the limbs with 5mm brass wire.

With that done it was time to fill in the gaps and mold the detailing back in - a lot easier than I though.

As the bust of the figure was already separate it only required a little sanding and filling to get the posture correct.

Offline FarEast

Re: 'Papa' Reuschke 1:32
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
So next up was his uniform, the Marine-Fliegerabteilung uniform is a double breasted jacket, wing collar and bow tie, all of which would need making from scratch.

So first up was to remove all of the existing detail and also some of the body surface as I had decided to use white metal for the clothing rather than miliput and Tamiya epoxy clay - I just found it the easiest medium to work with.

Once the torso was ready I made the shirt using plain paper, once in position and the wing tips had been folded I saturated it with super glue and left it to harden.

Next was fabricating the jacket, I found it easiest to form the shame of the jacket on the actual miniature and the white metal is very easy to manipulate in to the shape require.

Having got this far it was time to call it a night, however I went to bed feeling something wasn't right with the model.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
Sunday morning I went to my work bench fired the PC back up and checked my reference material to the figure - HE'S NOT WEARING A BLOODY BELT!

So I stripped off the jacket and removed more detail from the torso and started again on his jacket and coated it with Mr. Finisher to see if there was any modifications or further sanding required. Happy with the results I added basic buttons these will have more detail added using a cut down syringe.

Once the buttons are done, a little more fixing here and there I will add some more detail such as the 'Iron Cross', Pilots Badge, Ribbons and shoulder bars.

But until the next time I thought I would see just how close I'm getting to replicating the photo.

Offline FarEast

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 01:10:46 AM »
WOW! You are doing Brilliant work on this conversion! I am very impressed with your work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ermeio

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 02:45:45 AM »
Impressive work! It resembles the real photo.

Offline radio

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 04:00:19 AM »
Fantastic work! ;D
Cheers
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:00:02 AM »
Magnificent work, James!  True modeling artistry.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline FarEast

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:10:13 AM »
Many thanks everyone!

He still needs a lot of tidying up and the whole processes has strengthened my respect for the talented artists that do this professionally.

I now need to find a way to sand all the small areas!

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 07:58:03 AM »
  James,
You're outstanding at modifying figures my friend. I absolutely love what you've done to date. You mentioned using white metal for Herr Reuschke's jacket. I not much of a figure painter but do ok with modifications. Years ago in the early 80's I use hammered lead from a .45 cal. bullet to modify the uniform of German Infantryman to that of a sailor for my 1/32 scale S-Boat. Worked out better for me than lead foil did.
Thanks for posting this and I'll be following looking for more tips and tricks.
Highest Regards<
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
Excellent work on the figure modifications James, I will be following along closely.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FarEast

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Many thanks guys - yet another classic case of bumbling along and making it up as I go.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 02:38:53 AM »
Yes, James...great stuff...you've proved it can be done... I've been needing to try to do some similar figure alterations but thought it beyond me...now I have your work as inspiration...so may I ask where you acquired your white metal and what thickness it was?         -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline FarEast

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »
Yes, James...great stuff...you've proved it can be done... I've been needing
to try to do some similar figure alterations but thought it beyond me...now I have your work as inspiration...so may I ask where you acquired your white metal and what thickness it was?         -M

Dougmace I bought it from my local Hobby store here in Japan after seeing it by chance when looking for brass wire.

The thickness is 0.5mm but I've rolled it out to 0.3mm and 0.2mm by laying it between two sheets of steel of the required thickness then using a marble rolling pin. (While the wife is out obviously!)

But I'm sure you can get tin lead sheets from a good hardware or hobby store?

Offline FarEast

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
Some more work last night, Bow tie, ribbon and medals added.

Richard from Aviattic kindly came to my rescue regarding the medals and sent me a sample of the new Aviattic and Pheon Decal joint venture PE accessories from the new Aviattic Legends series that will be out soon!