Author Topic: Barraca's SPAD XIII  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Dal Gavan

Re: Barraca's SPAD XIII
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
G'day, Ray and Alex.

Ray, what is this- some sort of conspiracy to encourage my growing interest in WWI Italian aircraft?  ;D  Whatever, it's worked and I'll be getting that as soon as it's published.

Alex, I'm afraid my Italian is not up to translating that page, but Google Translate did a fairly good job.  I agree, the painting in the Casa dell'Aviatore is near contemporary evidence for red and any of his squadron mates who saw the painting would definitely have asked the horse to be repainted, if it was wrong.  The reason for changing to black also makes sense as well.  However the case for a black horse, as made by Gentilli, Iozzi and Varriale, is also very strong. 

Time to read more references, I think.  Ray, where's that new book?  Or perhaps do two of Baracca's aircraft, one with a black and one with a red horse.....

Many thanks for your input, gents.

Cheers.

Dal.   

Offline fullcolored

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 05:56:36 AM »
Hello again,

after have found and buy the necessary ( I hope ) colours for the Spad ( french 5 tons scheme ), I have a new doubt : I have an old Esci box, and for sentimental reasons I would like to keep as it is for collection. Now i need another box : I think about to buy a revell 4192 Spad XIII C-1 or Academy 1623 SPAD XIII WWI Fighter.
Any advise please?
Grazie :)

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »
if you wish to buy a 1/72 spad xiii model kit i suggest eduard. this is the best 1/72 spad kit anywhere.

Offline Edo

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 03:59:20 PM »
Hi folks!
I am not an expert myself, but never heard of a Baracca's horse in red... It sounds almost as blasphemy to an Italian ear  ;)
Here you can find a small report I did last year for Italian Army Day (nov 4th)
 http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=166632#1399856
hope you'll enjoy!
Ciao
Edo

Offline fullcolored

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 03:13:47 AM »
Hello ,
thank you for your advises.

@ Edo.

Nice pics. Have you shoot on both sides?.
Concerning the "blasphemy": I will ask again around about that.
Did you have read the link in my previuos post.
I await for your comments

Regards

Offline Edo

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:17 AM »
Hi,
unfortunately I don't have pics of the other side...
The photo was taken last year and the plane is a fliyng replica. have you tryed the link I gave on the Aeroscale thread? it should bring you to the museum where it is displayed maybe you could find some pics there.

And, no, I haven't read the article yet. I could try to translate it in english (should be fun and maybe I could also learn something...). PM me if you are interested

ciao
Edo

Offline Edo

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 03:49:54 AM »
try this two links:
the first one is the Piave Museum (which owns the flying replica), the second is the Baracca Museum in his birth city.
Its seems one side horse, the other grypho, both black...
www.museodelpiavevincenzocolognese.it/ (click 'lo SPAD XIII' on the left, there is a video of the maiden flight of the replica and of the building of the plane)
www.museobaracca.it/   (click 'il museo F. Baracca' under 'IL "MUSEO VIRTUALE" ', then click 'Esposizione SPAD VII' on the museum plan)

ciao
Edo

Offline davecww1

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »
Just reading the topic and while looking at one of Edo's links found this which seems to verify the BLACK horse (just as I was thinking about doing a RED one on my Nieuport 17...
http://www.museobaracca.it/Il-Cavallino-Rampante

Dave