Author Topic: whts this?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

whts this?
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:33:06 AM »
isaw this photo on ebay and so i bought it as it was cheap and noone bid against me. it says its a fokker but it looks like no fokker i know. actually it looks like a sopwith tabloid with german markings although the cowl looks a tad different than other tabloid cowls i have seen and the rudder has no fin and the shape of a standard fokker rudder.also the landing gear is diff than any tabloid i have seen. could it be a captured tabloid that was damaged and given new cowl,rudder and landing gear? or maybe so prototype i have never seen? perhaps made by euler or some other company as a tabloid copy like ssw did with their d.1 which was basically a nieuport scout copy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PHOTOGRAPH-OF-A-GERMAN-WW1-FOKKER-FIGHTER-/201392914055?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=KjoHU04vl%252Fd67cj3k9mUQbWFiNI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

select the link then scroll down to see the photo.....thanks

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: whts this?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:11:43 AM »
ok i am a dunce, all i hd to do was flip thru a few books to find out. its a shutte-lanz d.1 which looks to be a copy of a tabloid not unlike the aforementioned ssw d.1.

Offline Beto

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
When you receive it please tell us if it is a "real" WWI era picture or a scanned and home printed item, please. I have too many bad experiences about ebay bought vintage photographs that are just a photo scanned from a book and printed. Thank you.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »
i will, i expect an scanned home print for that price 2.50 pounds sterling. the ad definitely implies its a real photo as it says "rare photograph of german ww1 fokker fighter"  in the title .then the description says:

"This is a very rare photograph of a German WWI fighter, probably some type of Fokker
The reverse is totally blank.
The photograph is approximately 5½ x 3½ inches, and is in Fine condition"

to me this trys to say its real,vintage photo it even gives "fine condition".a scan should all be new condition. so i will see but i doubt it is a real photo.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 01:34:46 PM »
its a fake. its obviously so. it really isnt fair when someone advertises one thing and sells another.

Offline Beto

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »
its a fake. its obviously so. it really isnt fair when someone advertises one thing and sells another.

Sorry about the bad news. I have too many bad experiences buying photos announced as "original WWI... etc" and receiving stuff that I could have done myself even with the phone camera, any Datafile and a home printer.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 07:12:09 PM »
Sorry to hear that you were ripped off Scott, there should be a way were we can name and shame those type of people.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 03:34:53 AM »
youre right des old boy. if you look at the above link it definatly implies it is an actual photo not a modern scan and print. it is so obviously so when you se it in person. its in perfect brand new condition without so much as a tiny blemish or yellowing of the phot paper.

mike in calif

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »
Give negative feedback, and choose your words very carefully for the comments line. There is a guy doing a similar thing with WWII AVG "unit patches" stamped RKO Radio. Claims they are original, but paints them in his garage.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
i knew it was going to be a fake and i didnt buy it for that reason. i saw a photo of an aircraft that looked similar but not exactly like a sopwith tabloid in german markings.i had never seen one before that i could recal and since it was only a couple pounds i made an impulse buy because i wasnt sure if i would see one again. once  i posted this i went digging thru my books and found this is the shutte-lanz d.1.

Online macsporran

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
I suppose this raises the interesting question of what you would do if you were selling a new print made from an original wwi negative!
It would be brand new but from a genuinely old source.
Ha! I suppose you could leave positive negative feedback on the original or negative positive feedback on the prints.
Sorry, I'm on hols again, in Provence, and reckon the heat and sun are affecting my brain. Not sure if that's positive or negative.
Sandy

Offline Beto

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »
I suppose this raises the interesting question of what you would do if you were selling a new print made from an original wwi negative!
It would be brand new but from a genuinely old source.
Ha! I suppose you could leave positive negative feedback on the original or negative positive feedback on the prints.
Sorry, I'm on hols again, in Provence, and reckon the heat and sun are affecting my brain. Not sure if that's positive or negative.
Sandy

My point of view about this is: a new print - using the traditional analogic process, not a scan-and-print - from an original glass negative is ok, because all the info of the original negative is there. And I'm sure we all love to go over old photos armed with a magnifying glass looking for elusive details. But many ebay "vintage original" pictures are just scanned from a book and then despeckled in photoshop and printed.