Author Topic: Albatros D-Va Jasta 18 1/72  (Read 3437 times)

Offline vincentm

Albatros D-Va Jasta 18 1/72
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
My third D-V is a very late production aircraft delivered to Jasta 18 during the spring of 1918, just after the Staffel was taken over by August Raben and given its new red and white colors. Several aircraft of the unit were pictured at that time, but the best documented as far as I know is this one, since a closeup clearly shows the red upper wing with white squares under the crosses, red front fuselage, struts and landing gear, as well as the lozenge-covered lower wings and several typical details of this very aircraft like the rearview mirror, the flaregun attached to the upperwing cutout, and particular windscreen.

As some sources state that this aircraft batch was built by OAW, and as OAW-built machines are supposed to have blue rib tapes, this gave me the opportunity to combine 5 color lozenges with blue tapes on this bird.

The Roden kit is the finest base at this scale in my opinion, offering the thinnest details. It is also rather difficult to build, just like most other short-run WWI kits so to say...Seatbelts and Spandau detailing is from Eduard, gauge decals from FCM, the rest of the mods being scratch (valve springs, spark plug wiring, cockpit details, flaregun etc). All markings are home-made decals including lozenges and the whole top of the upperwing. Humbrol paints, weathering with oils, Pebeo flat varnish.

Offline IanB

Re: Albatros D-Va Jasta 18 1/72
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »
Beautiful job Vincent!
 Very impressive and so well photographed too.

Ian

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »
Truly stunning, Vincent!  She looks more like 1/48 scale than 1/72.  You guys who work in this tiny scale simply amaze me.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline dtomko

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »
Wow!   That's some seriously good workmanship!

Drew

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 04:02:30 PM »
A spectacular looking Albatros! The setting and photography really bring it to life!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ade

• "..ambition? To be Elvis Costello"
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:04:40 PM »
I actually had to double check the post to confirm it was 1/72!

Such skill!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
Another really impressive 1:72 scale model, the finish on this model is superb and the setting and the photography is excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »
Lovely little Albie and terrific photo setting,looks real and the hangers really neat to!

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:33:29 PM »
Vincent, every time you come up with another little gem
I like it the best, and this one is no exception!  Beautifully
done as well as the display.  Well done, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 04:13:51 AM »
That is a simply superb model. The setting is what I dream of but am never able to achieve….. come to that I could never achieve that quality of finish either! Very many congratulations on a real gem.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 07:39:13 AM »
Thanks so much for your kind comments.
As for the model environment, I usually inspire from the time pics as I did this time again.
I tried to be light on weathering as these D-V's from Jasta 18 looked rather clean at the time they were pictured. As the photos appear to be from spring 1918, I guess the machines had been freshly repainted in their new and bright red & white livery.