Author Topic: Another Macchi!  (Read 10583 times)

Offline ermeio

Re: Another Macchi!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 04:31:19 AM »
Hi All
I would like to throw the following up for discussion. I would like to suggest that both of the color schemes are incorrect as identified by HPH. After spending some time with the Windsock Datafile, I think that the upper hull both in front of and immediately behind the pilot should be unfinished aluminum for M 7288 and dark green, matching the rest of the upper surfaces, for M 13083. Unless I miss read the information in the Datafile, M 13083 is most likely wrong, as HPH show these areas as natural wood and, best I can tell, they were in fact aluminum.
Thanks for looking and everyone keep up the good work.

Dave
I agree, Dave,
But without considering this position ad definitive.
M 13083  upper surfaces probably are green, but dark stained wood is an alternative.
It would be nice to see the original photo since usuallly the wood veneer is discernible in the glass negatives.
Another possibilità is the existence of old profiles coloured with pencils like we have for the Caproni - an entire album with all the markings.
As for the other macchi, I cannot esclude white or very light cream for the upper part of the nose.
In these macchis alluminium is painted, not a tole. See the Caproni Ca 20.

Offline radio

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 04:55:33 AM »
Very wonderful painting, Dave.
Martin

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 05:12:15 AM »
Await further photos.....

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 08:11:54 AM »
Outstanding work on the Hull! Your wood effect is excellent! As for the colors you are discussing I don't have any reference but the possibilities seem reasonable to me.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
Outstanding work on the Hull! Your wood effect is excellent! As for the colors you are discussing I don't have any reference but the possibilities seem reasonable to me.
RAGIII
I couldn't agree more, Dave!  Brilliant!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline 15badcats

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 10:16:49 AM »
Dave did you have the same problems Des did with the cockpit?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 10:39:26 AM »
Beautiful job with the wood Dave and your aluminium finish is excellent. Be wary of the decals, they are very translucent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline mammut08

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 01:30:16 AM »
Hi All,

Thank you for the kind words. Ermeio, interesting thoughts on the colors. The Windsock datafile also has a photo of one airframe that displays a camouflage pattern on the upper hull nose. I would love to see a photo of the rest of that aircraft.

15badcats, yes, I had the same issues with the cockpit as Des. It all fits, but very tightly. Moreover, the floor cross-members are undersized and do not touch the hull on either side of the airframe. Overall, I have seen the same issues as Des. My hull also has a warp at the tail end that throws the entire tail out of alignment. I think the make or break part of the build will be attaching the upper wing. We will see, we will see...

Des, thanks for the heads up on the decals. I had been contemplating making masks and your observation on decal quality made up my mind for me. In fact, all of my markings will be home made. This will be my first attempt at making my own multicolor masks. I am doing so with my Silhouette Portrait craft cutter. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-SILHOUETTE-PORTRAIT-Portrait/dp/B009GZUPFA . Everyone should have one of these. They cost about the same as a mid-range airbrush and have tons of cool applications.

That's what I have today.

Best,

Dave

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:27:41 AM by mammut08 »

Offline mammut08

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 01:03:10 AM »
Hi All,

A quick update on my build. My Macchi's hull in complete with the exception of the stabilizer supports and wires. All markings are home made with my stencil cutter. This was my first attempt at multicolored roundels and these are not perfect - a touch out of round and next time I will spray the outside edge with green, then white, red and green to eliminate the white paint showing around the outside edge. Otherwise, a little light weathering to the lower hull using very thinned Tamiya deck tan sprayed along the lower edges. These also received a few paint chips here and there. Finally, the entire hull was given a burnt umber filter to tie everything together.

Thanks for looking,

Dave

Offline radio

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 04:29:46 AM »
Very superb painting, Dave.
Martin

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 04:52:05 AM »
  Dave,
Outstanding update my friend. Love those cut stencil marking too. Keep up the great progress.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 07:45:18 AM »
Great job with the markings Dave and your paint work is excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »
Outstanding painting and weathering! Your painted markings look great to me!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »
    Excellent paint work Dave, the wood work is particularly impressive and I think your masked markings are beautifully done. Another really pretty Macchi, both you and Des are doing wonders with these little devils!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
beautiful!