Author Topic: Humbrol colour matches for a Nieuport 28  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Berman

Re: Humbrol colour matches for a Nieuport 28
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 01:02:46 AM »
No problem finding matching colors when using either artist's acrylic or oil tube pigments. For acrylics thin with a combination a Future(now Johnson's Kleer or Tile floor finish) and distilled water(although some substitute lacquer thinner for the water). For oils thin with a medium like Gamblin "Galklyd Lite" and turpentine or even lacquer thinner.  Good quality (not student grade)tube colors are initailly more expensive than bottled paint but in the long run they cost less per ounce.
 If a modeler wishes to use pre-mixed hobby shop paints, that is his/her decision but the Windsock article states and shows with photo comparison that you will not achieve the proper color shift between fabric areas and painted metal sections. In the end the modeler makes the final choice.

Offline flypaper

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 04:40:43 AM »
Since I haven't seen any of the photos I cant comment on them.
So now what your saying is the only thing to come out of the article is a color shift for the metal parts of the a/c? But it was stated that the metal colors were mixed with 42% gray and not aluminum so if I add gray to a bottled paint that fits the methuen color, your saying I couldn't come up with a decent match?

Also how does working with tube oils and acrylics work when your adding Model Master silver (which I'm guessing is an enamel)?

Even Project Butterfly and other research has stated that the color spread in such colors as the dark green is pretty large as well as  the other colors, that information gleaned from the many fabric remains that were studied for the articles.

Yes it all boils down to the modeler taste....

Offline Berman

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 05:49:34 AM »
Enamels are basically oil based. Acrylic tube paint would have to use a water based silver. Tamiya silver which has an alcohol base might work but that is only a guess. I find enamels have finer grain silver particles than acrylics.
I have not tried adding 42% light grey or 42% silver to the same shade of pre-mixed bottled paint. Right now, I can only assume that if it was that easy, the Windsock article would not have given mixing formulae starting from scratch using Prussian blue, chrome yellow, etcetera.

Offline flypaper

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
well I never saw the article so I don't know if the formulas were intended to show what went into the original paints. I did some checking and 2 of the colors mentioned have not been popular for years, at least that's what a color history site said.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
well I never saw the article so I don't know if the formulas were intended to show what went into the original paints. I did some checking and 2 of the colors mentioned have not been popular for years, at least that's what a color history site said.

Doesn't mean you can't get them (easily!) at any decent art supply store. These are pigments that have been around for centuries. There are some heavy metal pigments that are getting hard to find (Cadmium Yellow, Red, Orange, Lead White etc.) , but a) you can still get them, and b) I don't think they apply to French camo colors.

Mr. Toelle was indeed seeking to replicate the authentic hues by using original pigments and ratios of silver, grey, etc.

I suggest seeking out the article, and then decide whether you agree or not with his conclusions and methodology. I found it convincing. Your mileage may vary.

Offline flypaper

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 12:17:35 AM »
I am not attacking Mr Toelle article, he has been the leader in French camo research. He has published many times his findings in RBG, Methuen, and FS595 for both metal and fabric parts, and, never with the caveat to add silver or gray to attain the desired color.

If Mr. Toelle article was to replicate the original colors by using the original proportions my question is do they translate to model scale? For me that was the problem with the silver at 42% of the mix for modeling purpose. I'm sure the colors can be found in tube form at any art supply store as you said, hell if I had the money to spend I'd mix them and use them as a reference for sure, but, are they available to the average modeler in standard model paint?