Author Topic: Patching/Repairing Plywood fuselages  (Read 1016 times)

Michael Scarborough

Patching/Repairing Plywood fuselages
« on: June 06, 2015, 03:29:10 AM »
I've been scanning all my Datafiles, Albatros books, etc., to try and find clear pictures of repairs made to plywood fuselages....and coming up with zip.

I'm imagining everything from a simple bullet hole to bashed-in plywood due to a collision with a large fuel cart or vehicle.

I've worked with enough wood to have what I think is a pretty good grasp on how this process would have been done, but, if anyone has clear photos of what look like obvious repairs, I would appreciate being directed to them.

Thanks team,
Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Patching/Repairing Plywood fuselages
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 03:53:28 AM »
Assume you are talking about Albatros plywood fuselages; lots of pictures of bullet hole repairs -- typically they used the little round fabric roundel patches -- kit comes with gobs of them iirc.

Remember that the plywood skin was only 1.6mm think and was stressed -- I believe much damage beyond a simple bullet hole would probably result in the machine being written off. You can find pictures of Albatrosen with large holes in them, but seldom repaired. The skin sections were joined with scarf joints, which would be basically impossible to do in the field. That leaves fabric patches which would probably work for holes up to baseball size I suppose...

My $.02…

I've been scanning all my Datafiles, Albatros books, etc., to try and find clear pictures of repairs made to plywood fuselages....and coming up with zip.

I'm imagining everything from a simple bullet hole to bashed-in plywood due to a collision with a large fuel cart or vehicle.

I've worked with enough wood to have what I think is a pretty good grasp on how this process would have been done, but, if anyone has clear photos of what look like obvious repairs, I would appreciate being directed to them.

Thanks team,
Michael

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 04:43:44 AM »
As always, Bo, thank you!

Yes, I'm familiar with the bullet hole patch...should have been more specific.

With a larger damage, I imagined a mechanic squaring up the hole, then crawling back in the fuselage and gluing on a patch larger than the hole. Returning to the outside, he would then insert a piece of plywood cut to the exact size of the hole. Isn't this the way it is done on wooden boat hulls?

Michael

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
It seems as though you have acquired solid info from the others but I figured I would post this link to MvRs Albatros DIII. Look just above the fuselage cross. There is a patch of rectangular shape. It is clearer on another photo I just need to find it on line to avoid copyright issues:
RAGIII

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_von_Richthofen#/media/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-2004-0430-501,_Jagdstaffel_11,_Manfred_v._Richthofen.jpg
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »
Have a look here Michael, not referring directly to WW1 but may give you some insights, it's quite a large file.

Des.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/amt_airframe_handbook/media/ama_Ch06.pdf
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

mike in calif

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:37:09 PM »
Michael,
 In boat repair, the piece is called a "Dutchman", and one makes the patch piece first, then scribes the outline to the area to be repaired. That area is then cut out, and the Dutchman is fit in to complete the repair. There would of course be structural considerations...

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
Mike,

That method is/was used to repair aircraft metal skins too - as long as there isn't a stringer behind the repair area it is a straightforward job.