Author Topic: Taube questions  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Taube questions
« on: June 02, 2015, 06:37:57 PM »
Hello All

For my sins I have acquired and intend to build the Copper State Models A.II Taube. Opening the box and looking at the parts and "instructions" was almost enough to scare me to death.

The kit is for an Etrich-Lohner-Flieger Arsenal built Taube A.II single seater. Now, I know that patent problems led to scores of companies making their own variations of the Taube, but I'm really struggling to find any photographic material on this version. The books listed in the kit's information sheet are not available to me, and the Windsock Taube at War did not help; many of the photos are of two-seater versions and the beautiful Jeannin and Rumpler plans show very different beasts. As a note in the Datafile adds, seeking to document all the variants would require a full-scale book.

This has left me heavily dependent on photos from the courageous few who have built and shared shared the model. So, is there anybody on the forum who can point me to any photos of this version of the Taube?

Any help would be much appreciated - not least in helping me to understand how any pilot managed to see anything forward when apparently sitting low behind a very high cowling.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline andyw

Re: Taube questions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
Hello Nigel
I build this kit a few years ago. Please do not be put off by the instructions, and persevere. After all this time it is still my favourite model in my display cabinet. My build is here http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=4317.msg74473#msg74473.

I built it sometime ago, so recollection of the build itself is a bit foggy. However, the tailplane is shorter than that on the plans (but not by much though). The engine bearers should be wood, not metal, the wm propeller has one blade shorter than the other, and I would strongly advise you make you own wing braces using brass rod. The braces are of an aerofil section, but change to a square profile where the uprights meat the horizontal members.

References on the A.11 are scarce. In act the scarcest of any Taube variant. The best source is the Austro-Hungarian Army Aircraft of World War One book by Grosz/Haddow/Schiemer, and I used that to help my build

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:03:35 PM by andyw »

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:53:56 PM »
Wow, Nigel!  This is certainly going to be a different build
for you, but with your talent, I'm sure it will be a winner.
Have fun with the build, my friend.  I hope you will share
your progress with us. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »
Dear Justin, Andy and Ernie, thank you for getting back so quickly.

Your photos are much appreciated Justin, but alas, neither one captures the A.II version I'm after. The main difference is that the Copper State Model features two pairs of undercarriage wheels; additionally, the model has no, what I take to be, port fuselage-side exhaust panels. Even so, thanks for searching.

Thanks for the offer of help, Andy, and I will certainly have many questions! The version of the model I have has seen the white metal parts replaced by resin. Hopefully that will have solved the propellor problem you mention, but brings other issues in its wake. Unfortunately, the book you mention is way beyond my means going by Amazon prices.

Thank you for you kind words, Ernie. I will certainly post a build log, if only to record my problems. I bet someone like WNW will release a Taube before I finish!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 02:17:37 AM »
I have the book and was looking at early Taubes recently. I will look if i can make soon decent copy's of the relevant pages, not shure if I can do that today. please pm your private mail and I will see what I can do.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:48:45 AM »
Nigel, please go ahead and start building. Despite the challenge, obstacles and copious amounts of cursing dealing with a resin kit and this one in particular, I am sure it will turn out to be an exemplary and beautiful build.

And, that the day you wipe the sweat from your brow and publish photos for us all to see in the Completed Models thread, Wingnuts will announce the availability of their Taube.

I look forward to both.

God Bless,
Michael

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:13:13 AM »
Maybe this will be some assistance, Nigel.  I've saved Mark's build as a guide for when I have the courage to start mine.
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/SmithMark/AH/Taube/index.html
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:59:01 AM »
Thank you hiddeous1973 (H), Michael and Bud.

That's a very kind offer H and I've sent a message to you with my private email address.

Thanks for your encouragement Michael; time will tell if my skills are up to it. If I could guarantee a WNW release of a Taube to coincide with completion of my Taube, then my efforts would not have been in vain!

Bud, this is a wonderful source of support and thank you so much for sharing it.

Best wishes
Nigel

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 04:39:18 AM »
Wow, Nigel, a very brave move! looking at the photos in the two articles from Andy and Bud makes the rigging appear pretty daunting. (I feel foolish for whining about the DH2 by comparison!) I'm looking forward to seeing your skills applied to this challenge, a real winner in the making I know.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
Maybe this will be some assistance, Nigel.  I've saved Mark's build as a guide for when I have the courage to start mine.
http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/SmithMark/AH/Taube/index.html
Cheers,
Bud

It still amazes me just how much info and how many great builds can be found in the list galleries!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
Thanks Lance. In truth I know that I'm going to find it a real challenge. My philosophy is that if I don't try then I'll never know if I can manage it.

Yes, Rick, those galleries will prove a major source of support for me, not least because the instructions in the kit are somewhat light!

Best wishes
Nigel