Author Topic: Procedure for Applying Lozenge Decals to Wings  (Read 1721 times)

Offline skeeterbuck

Procedure for Applying Lozenge Decals to Wings
« on: September 25, 2015, 09:46:41 PM »
Looking for feedback as to the better/best way to apply the lozenge decals to the wings. In the past, I've always did the lower surface first, then the upper. My thinking was that if there is any overlap, it would be better the upper overlap the lower that the other way round.

What procedure do you use or does it really make a difference?

Thanks for your input.

Chuck

Offline RAGIII

Re: Procedure for Applying Lozenge Decals to Wings
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:54:15 PM »
I imagine that we will eventually have opinions on a variety of methods. That being said here are my thoughts:
1. Transparent Lozenge: I like to do the uppers first. I can get the leading edge where I want the division and when I apply the under surface I make sure any overlap is at the trailing edge allowing me to sand/cut the unwanted material on a thin edge.
2. Non Transparent Lozenge: I apply the lower surfaces first and then overlap or line up the seam for the reasons you stated.
JMHO and I am sure others will have good reasons for applying the Lozenge in the opposite way  ::) IHTH,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »
Rick, I'm glad you brought up about transparent vs. opaque decals. In the past I've only used the opaque and this is my first attempt at the transparent style and had forgotten about that aspect.

Thanks!
Chuck

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 02:22:09 AM »
Agreed on Rick's process above - I do the same
-Patrick

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
i do similar cept i like to cut 1 piece decal and put it on in one shot over painted futured surface. once i have them lined up i take a hair dryer to em.this works well to get them to show any surface detail. i sometimes add micro set or sol,the one in the red bottle. then use lint free t shirt to push out bubbles if need be. if a bubble does get trapped prick it with a needle and smash w the t-shirt. then coat w future let dry 24 hours and dullcoat.