Author Topic: Additionnal wire on Albatros D-Va  (Read 858 times)

Offline vincentm

Additionnal wire on Albatros D-Va
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
Some D-V's and D-Va's had an additionnal wire going from the top rear end of the wing V-mast, down to the engine cowl. This cable is in green on the sketch below. But on time pics, I've noticed at least three different attachment points on the cowl:
1) just below the other wire that goes to the base of the V-mast
2) a little lower on the cowl
3) (unusual, probably some field modification) on the front gear leg attachment point to the fuselage

Is there a link between the attachment point of this optional wire, and the subtype or production batch?

Thanks by advance for any help.

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Additionnal wire on Albatros D-Va
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:16:43 PM »
i thought it was the d.va that had th extra cowl line. the normal one went from the bottom of the "v" strut to the upper point where the upper engine panel meets the ring. there was an added line from the top of the "v" to a bit below the first line in addition to an added brace at the bottom front of the "v" to the wing. this was in attempt to strengthen the lower wing as it being a sesquiplane and having a one spar wing it tended to twist and snap off in a dive or when excess flight stress was applied.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
there was an added line from the top of the "v" to a bit below the first line in addition to an added brace at the bottom front of the "v" to the wing
Do you mean that all late D-Va's fitted with the extra brace on the V struts had this additionnal wire?

Offline dtomko

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
Udet's D.V 4476 has the extra wire attached just above the normal wire on the cowl.  It also has the V strut bottom braces.

Drew

Offline vincentm

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 02:12:58 AM »
Thank you both.
The extra cables aren't present on early DVas (nor were the additional little rods at the base of the V struts), so they probably are associated with mid / late production machines when fitted to the usual location along with the extra rods
This was also my idea but I couldn't confirm it or not with photos.

Yes the only example of the #3 attachment point I found was on a D-V, so it was most probably an field retrofit.