Author Topic: British aircraft recovery trailer / tender trailer  (Read 6366 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: British aircraft recovery trailer / tender trailer
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 02:55:04 AM »
Thanks for posting the photos, James. If someone can provide me with dimensions of the real thing I may have a go at scratchbuilding one in 72nd scale.

I will second that: if anyone could provide a set of drawings I would be very grateful as I would like to give it a go as well.

Stephen.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 03:08:53 AM »
You should be able to work out the dimension close enough for your purposes by comparing it to the known sizes of the various aircraft seen strapped to it, no? Ditto the wheel diameter which appears to be very close to that of the albatros atop it...

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 03:30:55 AM »
That is a dam coincidence
I came to the conclusion only a few days ago on what to do with a couple of aircraft that were damaged beyond full repair. rather than break them up for parts one will be used as a new aircraft being delivered by truck and the other a downed badly damaged plane being recovered. I did alot of goolgeing to see what trucks were appropriate and saw alot of trailers too but also came to the conclusion that they were not standardised and were either custom built or comandeered. The fact that Richard is making one as a kit is a bonus. It would be the cherry on the cake if he were also to make a kit for a Leyland 3 ton RAF type truck!
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 01:48:29 AM »
This may be a little off topic, but while searching on the net for the Leyland 3 ton truck I found this photo. It's an early Daimler "armored" vehicle with a machine gun. How would you like to take this into battle?! :o

This is a Motor Scout in June 1899. By the way, the gent on the bike is Frederick Simms who opened Daimler motors in the UK which is possibly the first motor car company in the UK.

George

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 10:59:23 PM »
My ones bigger than yours!
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 02:51:22 AM »
This is too funny.....I had forgotten all about this post Jamo. But the timing of my re-finding it is perfect. Here's my plan:

PLUS

PLUS

EQUALS SOMTHING LIKE

NOW ALL I NEED IS TIME.

Yes, by all means, if someone comes up with accurate dimensions, please post them. If not, Bo's ideas for scaling from the pix will work.

Cheers,
Michael

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 02:59:12 AM »
Is that the Albatros that you recently stopped working on because of the sticky fingers? It's looking really great! Throw a tarp over the damaged area of the fuse and this will be a very nice diorama. With the variety of vehicles here, I can't wait to see this take shape. :D

George

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 04:10:13 AM »
Good eye, PG! That's actually it before I started working on it and converted it to Lulu.

Yes, I think this will be a fun diorama with plenty of opportunity to use figures.

All I need is 25 hours in an 8 day week.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 07:08:39 AM »
Read back a page or two Michael -- Aviattic announced plans to release a kit of the trailer in 1:32.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Yep, I saw that. If its as good as the fuel cart it will be a winner.

I also think this cart would make a super and straight forwArd scratch building project, if one were so inclined.

MS