Author Topic: 1:32 scale scratch build Blackburn Heavy Monoplane.  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1:32 scale scratch build Blackburn Heavy Monoplane.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
Thanks Roy for your lovely comments, I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

I do quite a bit of internet searching looking for a subject that I would like to model, I also go through all the books I have. Once I decide which aircraft I wish to model then the intense searching for information and data begins. Depending on how obscure the aircraft is will determine the length of time it takes to gather enough information to make a start. It is important to have some very good archive photos preferably from all aspects of the plane, some drawings or better still plans are really useful, anything with dimensions is most helpful. Every now and then I stumble across a book on the particular aircraft I am building, this is like a bible and is used for every aspect of the build. I usually spend many hours a day for at least a month searching for information, writing to museums many of whom don't bother to reply, downloading copious numbers of photos and drawing and printing them out to be placed in a file.

Ordering materials for the build is most important, these need to be ordered early in the peace so make sure they are on hand when building commences, nothing worse than having to wait a week or two for a small package of materials to arrive. Because I have built 8 scratch builds now I have an ample supply of materials on hand so starting my next scratch build will pose no problems.

Not everything falls into place, I would have at least half a dozen aeroplanes I would have loved to have modeled, but the lack of information has put an end to my searching, I have data but not enough to commence the build. I just wish that the museums around the world would be a bit more helpful in supplying information, I have even offered to pay for their services but still no response.

Please take the leap Roy, you will be so glad that you did, scratch building is not for everyone but for me it is an extremely satisfying hobby, I'm building and displaying 1:32 scale models of aeroplanes that have never been kitted in this scale, so they are a one of a kind.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:24 PM »
Another brilliant model, Des!  It is such a pleasure to follow
your projects.  You can see that each one is a labour of love.
I am looking forward to what you will pull out of the hat next.
Beautifully done, my friend, and by the way, I enjoyed the
history of the aeroplane as well. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:43 PM »
Wonderfull modelling, a real inspiration!
Think globally, act locally!

Offline Jacek

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 05:09:54 AM »
Really fantastic model.
Congratulations!

Jacek

Offline ermeio

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 06:27:12 AM »
Thanks Roy for your lovely comments, I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

I do quite a bit of internet searching looking for a subject that I would like to model, I also go through all the books I have. Once I decide which aircraft I wish to model then the intense searching for information and data begins. Depending on how obscure the aircraft is will determine the length of time it takes to gather enough information to make a start. It is important to have some very good archive photos preferably from all aspects of the plane, some drawings or better still plans are really useful, anything with dimensions is most helpful. Every now and then I stumble across a book on the particular aircraft I am building, this is like a bible and is used for every aspect of the build. I usually spend many hours a day for at least a month searching for information, writing to museums many of whom don't bother to reply, downloading copious numbers of photos and drawing and printing them out to be placed in a file.

Ordering materials for the build is most important, these need to be ordered early in the peace so make sure they are on hand when building commences, nothing worse than having to wait a week or two for a small package of materials to arrive. Because I have built 8 scratch builds now I have an ample supply of materials on hand so starting my next scratch build will pose no problems.

Not everything falls into place, I would have at least half a dozen aeroplanes I would have loved to have modeled, but the lack of information has put an end to my searching, I have data but not enough to commence the build. I just wish that the museums around the world would be a bit more helpful in supplying information, I have even offered to pay for their services but still no response.

Please take the leap Roy, you will be so glad that you did, scratch building is not for everyone but for me it is an extremely satisfying hobby, I'm building and displaying 1:32 scale models of aeroplanes that have never been kitted in this scale, so they are a one of a kind.

Des.

I find scratchbuilding the most rewarding way of modeling
You can be proud of showing less knon aircraft and something that no other one has on his shelves, but it is the quest for documentation about obscure subjects that brings along the pleasure of discovery.
I have at least twenty scratchbuilt project sitting as hangar or closet queens, since time is the scarce resource here.
But at times someone sees the light of completion ...

Offline dtomko

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »
Des, an amazing piece of work!

Drew

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 05:47:10 PM »
Another sublime model from a master builder. I find it just as exciting to contemplate your next build as a WNW release.Bravo Bravo Bravo.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »
very nice build des. interesting history and aircraft. looking at it with the modern eye its easy to see why such a heavily built craft didnt fly so well.cheers on another scratch build for the display case.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 08:25:37 PM »
My many thanks and appreciations goes out to Ernie, Sasho, Jacek, Ermeio, Drew, Thumbs up and Scott, thank you for dropping by and leaving wonderful comments.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com