Author Topic: Albatros seat  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Albatros seat
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
These photos may be useful to anyone building an Albatros D.III/D.V

The pictures have been taken from the WW1 Modelers page.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
Re: Albatros seat
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:13:29 AM »
I believe this seat is held at The Museum of Flight at East Fortune just east of Edinburgh, Scotland.
Not aware if the seat is on public display or not, but it was not when I last visited several years ago?

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 01:42:02 AM »
Ha! I was looking for seat pictures and found this thread. I took these pictures some years ago at East Fortune and here they are looking back at me!

It comes from Georg Noth's 796/17 green with yellow polka dot machine which was brought down by William Fry. The museum has various bits of the 'tros and I did some original research on the story (long before Alex Revell) and presented it fully documented to the then curator. In return he took me out to one of the outbuildings and showed me lots of weird and wonderful stored exhibits. Bits of Sopwiths, SE5s, Albatri, etc.
Revell missed the punchline to the story which was that WF had spent his last years in an Edinburgh nursing home only a few miles from the museum. Adam, the curator, was so disappointed that he had just missed the chance perhaps to bring the old boy down for a reunion with the plane he had downed a lifetime before.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:45:19 AM »
Interesting...

I've read that that they have a piece of the fuselage skin which I would very much like to see a photo of, if true...

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:49:32 AM »
Yes, it's the section of fuselage that started me on the research on the serial number. I did take some pics but I am not sure where they are now. I'll try to dig them out.
From memory the yellow dots were very interesting. Obviously hand painted and with distinct circular brush strokes. About dinner plate sized.
S

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 05:32:56 AM »
Just love this Forum, I've viewed these photos many times, and now find that a member actually took them, wonderful! I hope you can locate those photos; great stuff Macsporran. 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 06:04:27 AM »
Noth's D.III is on my list of Jasta B birds to build, any info you can dig up is most appreciated.

Cheers!

Offline Elanman

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:44:14 PM »
I'm currently building Noth's DIII in 1/48 so am also very interested in any photos thanks.  I'd found the seat photos previously and used them as a basis to rework the Eduard seat.

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 12:50:34 AM »
Just love this Forum, I've viewed these photos many times, and now find that a member actually took them, wonderful! I hope you can locate those photos; great stuff Macsporran. 8)
Cheers,
Lance

That was the beauty of the WWI Modeling List Lance, most of the images on the site were taken by the members. It was a great community. I'm sure most of them are still up on the website.

Warren

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »
Macsporran,m

What a fantastic tale!

I have been to East Fortune a few times, but not for many years, and last time was before the Concorde was taken there.

Do you know whether any of the interesting bits and pieces have been put on display for the WW1 centenary?

Would be really interested to see any other pictures of the Albatros pieces you describe, if you have them.

Are you a Scot by any chance?

Slainthe

Dave ;)

Offline macsporran

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »
Hi Dave, I haven't been down to East Fortune for a year or two, so am not sure what they have done for the centenary. I will be going again shortly though and will report back.
I took the seat pictures back in the 90s, with an SLR, just before I went digital. So the prints had to be scanned in. I did have some shots of the fuselage section but there was a lot of reflection from the glass case, so I didn't scan them. I may have the prints in a box somewhere but there have been two house moves since! If I can find I will upload but I will try to take better in future.
I remember the fuselage section very clearly. The green paint was applied quite thinly and you could see how the circles had been marked out with a (wooden?) compass - a centre mark and a faint chalk outline - then brushed in in a circular action.
When we dug the seat out of storage some horsehair stuffing fell out - you can see the damaged section. Adam Smith, the then curator handed me a few tufts and I had intended to make a model of 796/17 to present to the museum incorporating some of the hair as rigging or control cables.

Unfortunately some major changes - divorce, house moves etc - caused me to forget the hobby for a decade. Adam also left and the connection was broken.

Now I am fully hooked again though and just wish I hadn't sold of all my vast library of Windsocks, FMPs, etc, etc, etc!

I live in Crieff, Perthshire - glorious highland country, near Gleneagles Hotel. (Where they occasionally host EU and NATO conferences. Sometimes we are lucky enough to get flypasts - Spitfires etc.)
Local worthies include Ewan McGregor and Gerald Butler. Most significant here was Bill Reid VC, one of the Dambusters, whom I had the great good fortune to have as a neighbour. He died a few years back and the RAF did him proud with a full ceremonial funeral including a flypast from a Tornado from the current 617 Squadron.
Oh dear, I am rambling on. Nurse, Nurse my visitors are leaving....
Sandy

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:58:11 PM by macsporran »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:36:10 AM »
   Risking a small off topic excursion here Sandy, but you live in a very beautiful place. We holidayed just down the road from you two Springs ago at Achray House, St. Fillans on Loch Earn. A week was not enough as we toured the area and then moved north for another week. Wonderful people, magnificent scenery and so much history, truly a most enjoyable change of pace!! I'd go back in a heartbeat, and probably will health allowing.
Cheers,
Lance