Author Topic: Special Hobby Bristol M1C  (Read 3486 times)

Offline GrahamB

Special Hobby Bristol M1C
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:21:12 AM »
Hi,

not really a build log but just to show you how nice the Special Hobby MIC is. The internal cockpit structure is very delicate and builds up very well. The attachment points for the various frames are quite small and look unconvincing at first sight but with careful micro-masking (not here) or cleaning out of paint I found no problems with the assembly. Test fitting is necessary of course and only some slight adjustments were needed. I don't have any references for this aircraft so the wiring is a bit under-cooked and I had still to attach the 'throttle' rod on the port-side when the photos were taken. Like DrDave I swapped the kit's seat-harness for a spare WNW Pup lap-belt that's attached to the frame under the seat. The brass oval behind the seat is the kit's fuel tank (or at least the front end).

There is one major divergence from the kit in that there are two cut-outs in the forward longerons just behind the firewall as I'm going to insert brass tube to accept wing-root rods (Albion Alloys slide-fit stuff) - front only though; part D18, the curved transverse frame/coaming, was shaved at the back (mostly the lower half and obliquely)to clear the passage for the tube.

It is a pity that almost all of this disappears when the fuselage halves are joined as the cockpit aperture is very small.

Possibly some updates to come.

Cheers,

GrahamB

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:29:55 AM by GrahamB »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Special Hobby Bristol M1C
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
You have made an excellent start with this kit Graham and what you have done so far is looking really good. I have this same kit so i will be watching your build with great interest, this kit gets excellent reviews so it should be a beauty.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
The cockpit looks great, Gordon. Really nice wood tones.
I'm Looking forward to the maybe possible updates. ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
I think you've done a great job so far.

Warren

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
Outstanding cockpit Graham! Your seat and the overall wood tones are perfect!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
Outstanding cockpit Graham! Your seat and the overall wood tones are perfect!
RAGIII
I agree completely with my amigo, Graham!  Looks like a fantastic kit.  Excellent detail.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »
Blush. Thanks guys.

I forgot to say that I replaced the kit's rather poor instrument decals with some 'Airscale' versions - probably only for effect and not accuracy. I think the only possible downer coming up are the decals - said to be fragile? I don't like the blue and red colours anyway and might try painting the insignia. Some spare Pheon Pup 'late' decals might do the job but I've only one pair of wing roundels.

Wood (pine) is Lifecolour's UA756 'Weathered Hemp' as a base coat (same for cockpit linen) with faint streaking in Burnt Sienna and (less) Raw Umber oils.
I've used some generic Eduard brackets for the cross-bracing with an attempt at using tube (that plasticy-flexible stuff) for the lower 'turnbuckles'.

The resin wicker seat with the kit is a gem and scrubs up beautifully.

cheers,

GrahamB

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
Hello gentlemen,
Sure, it looks great.
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline xan

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »
wonderful begining!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »
Hi,

some progress with fuselage closed up and seams tidied up (I think - we'll see when the overall primer goes on). A common problem with short-run kits such as this is the variable thickness of the plastic that makes a first-attempt clean join quite difficult. I masked off the upper and lower fuselage seams to protect the nice fabric-over-frame to concentrate on the mid-line flat strip. The extreme rear of the fuselage where it meets the stern post, on upper surface, dipped slightly so that a test fit of the tail fin (lower edge straight) showed a gap. It may have been me being overkeen with sanding but it is worth looking out for. I built it up with my sprue/liquid glue paste and sanded it level.

A similar issue (variable thickness) is with the cowling that also has no supports - although it is actually pretty good and could be applied without any. I decided to add some small punched-out discs to help with the fit - these have to be glued one at a time with the cowling held flush with the main fuselage to ensure a fit. These won't interfere with the engine and can't be seen. The 'museum-quality' builders on the site won't like this though - you know who you are!

Third picture just shows the wing spar arrangement - the main receiving brass tube can be slid into place with a longer piece of the thinner tube inserted and a spot of glue to fix it.

One foul-up so far - the tailskid went AWOL somehow and I had to scratch one based on the kit's drawings.

Paint on soon.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
You are progressing extremely well Graham, the kit so far looks to be very good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 03:15:40 PM »
Beautiful!!! ;)
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 03:47:44 PM »
Outstanding ! You are making great progress and the spar treatment is excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
Graham, 
      Looks like a wonderful Kit, and I like what you are doing with it. The cockpit is beautifully done and the wing spar "extras" an excellent piece of work! I'm looking forward to more updates.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:25 PM »
Not my scale , but I'm impressed with the over all quality of your build so far .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .