Author Topic: WNW AEG  (Read 4542 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Re: WNW AEG
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »
Hello Gentlmen,
Has any one here had a WNW AEG kit delivered to the UK yet. If so I'm interested in what extra charges were incurred by customs and Parcel force.
My reason for this is I'm trying to decide whether to order this direct from NZ or whether to use a reseller here in the UK.
I have used both methods before and using the reseller is generally a shorter wait but is slightly more expensive.

Best Regards

Keith.

Keith, I reckon that unless there is a higher "release fee" for a heavier box, the fee will be the usual £8-9 - and the VAT at 20%.

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 07:05:10 PM »
Ouch indeed - if, and it is a big if, I ordered a Felixstowe and by chance it is delivered without VAT or release fee (it does happen sometimes) then the saving is almost enough to then buy a Pup!

Offline keith_christie

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 01:15:49 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen,

Ian, based on my reckoning then US$229 is roughly UK£152 +20% (£30.40) and the parcel force fee of £8 comes to £190.40.
The reseller I was looking at is asking UK£229.

So is the quicker delivery time worth the extra £39? I'm not so sure.

Best Regards

Keith.

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 01:24:54 AM »
Do you mean Hannants?  They usually list their WNW stock in UK at the same figures as the WNW US$ prices.  I can't remember if Hannants charge postage, but they are worth a look if the exchange rate varies after they already have kits in stock.

I almost got a DVa from Hannants a few years back, but even then buying direct from WNW would save about £5. Hannants would be quicker, however there is always the chance that a delivery from WNW may pass by the release fee and VAT.  Rare, but it does happen.

Offline Hannover

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 02:58:47 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen,

Ian, based on my reckoning then US$229 is roughly UK£152 +20% (£30.40) and the parcel force fee of £8 comes to £190.40.

Best Regards

Keith.

The amount you pay is dependent on the Paypal exchange rate, not any listed bank exchange rate. As of today the PayPal USD/GBP exchange rate is 1.4638 so the AEG at 229USD would cost you 156.45 GBP. In comparison the quote bank rate today is 1.511.

HMRC will base the VAT charge on the quoted cost on the shipping manifest and the then current exchange rate. The last one I imported was the W.12 and the VAT/Handling charge was £21-00 approx. Personally I think the saving would be less than £39-00 but it all depends on what HMRC decide to charge and the PayPal exchange rate.

Peter

Offline jknaus

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 09:09:54 PM »
Woohoo, mine is slated for delivery today. So should be here when I get home :)
James

Offline keith_christie

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 10:19:04 PM »
Do you mean Hannants?  They usually list their WNW stock in UK at the same figures as the WNW US$ prices.  I can't remember if Hannants charge postage, but they are worth a look if the exchange rate varies after they already have kits in stock.

I almost got a DVa from Hannants a few years back, but even then buying direct from WNW would save about £5. Hannants would be quicker, however there is always the chance that a delivery from WNW may pass by the release fee and VAT.  Rare, but it does happen.

Hi Ian, yes I do mean Hannants, I have ordered from them and WNW before, WNW is cheaper, always, but some times only by a few pounds, the delivery is always quicker from Hannants. You do have to wait for them to come into stock there though.

Best Regards

Keith

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 10:44:19 PM »
I think Hannants is one of the very few authorised WNW distributors.  Very useful if you want a model quickly, making the few £ overall cost difference negligible.  For a DVa or Pup it is not much difference assuming they are in stock as you say, but for a Felixstowe the difference may be substantial.

I use Hannants for all sorts of kit, but haven't bought a WNW from them, not yet.

Kai

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 01:07:07 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen,

Best Regards

Keith.

The amount you pay is dependent on the Paypal exchange rate, not any listed bank exchange rate. As of today the PayPal USD/GBP exchange rate is 1.4638 so the AEG at 229USD would cost you 156.45 GBP. In comparison the quote bank rate today is 1.511.

HMRC will base the VAT charge on the quoted cost on the shipping manifest and the then current exchange rate. The last one I imported was the W.12 and the VAT/Handling charge was £21-00 approx. Personally I think the saving would be less than £39-00 but it all depends on what HMRC decide to charge and the PayPal exchange rate.

Peter

I've found HMRC tend to under calculate the VAT due. I collected 5 WNW kits yesterday, VAT was something like £40.

I think they may be using a NZ $ exchange rate, as the customs declaration is in NZ currency.