Author Topic: Fly Models?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Mark

Fly Models?
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:14:32 AM »
In the most recent (March 2015) Squadron flyer, there is a model listed by a company called Fly. It's 1:48--a Roland D.VIa, Otto Kissenberth.

Anyone have any info on this company and the quality of the kits? I've never heard of them (in my limited WWI modeling experience). Thanks!

Mark G

Offline rolanddvi

Re: Fly Models?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:38:23 AM »
I have a couple and as Red said above they aren't bad. Very buildable.

Mike

WarrenD

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
I believe they did a 1/72nd Floh, but stopped with that one sadly. :(

Warren

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
nah they do a few 1/72 kits one is the ansaldo sva 5 for sure.

WarrenD

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 11:49:09 PM »
Ahhh!  I happily stand corrected. They made at least one more kit it seems.

Warren
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:56:50 PM by WarrenD »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:14:58 AM »
Hi, Mark.  I have all of their 1/48 scale kits (well, not all of them, just an example of each type), and here is my take on each of them:

The Macchi M.5 was their first release and it's a pretty good kit except that the hull is too shallow at the bow and the wings have severe starved cow syndrome on both upper and lower surfaces.  The beautifully cast resin engine is too small.  Still, it can be built into a beautiful model.  The Blue Max kit is a far better option, imho, if you can get it.

The Roland D.VI series was next and it's an improvement over the M.5.  Very nice kit.  The only fault I can find with the kit is their representation of the clinker fuselage.  It doesn't exist.  Just simple panel lines with no overlap.  Once again, the Blue Max kit is a better choice.  However, the Fly engines, especially the Benz Bz.III, are gorgeous and far better than what you get in the Blue Max offering.  So, I guess it's really a toss up then.  I'll be building the Blue Max kit with the Fly engine in it.

Their last 1/48 scale release is the Ansaldo S.V.A. 5.  By far, their best.  Much better than the Smer kit, for sure.  Really in a class of it's own.  Nothing really to compare it to.  I see that they plan on releasing some S.V.A. 9 and 10 two seaters.  Those should be really nice, as well.

There, Mark.  Now you have my two cents.  Add to that another 5 or 6 bucks and you can buy a small cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Mark

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 01:26:21 AM »
Thanks for all the great info and links! Guess I'll have to buy one just to see for myself  ::)

Mark G

Kai

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 06:17:12 AM »
Their 1/32 Ar234 is very good. And well priced.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 06:44:41 AM »
I have not seen or built one of their kits but from reports I have read they appear to be on the higher side of average.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
i agree with coyotemagic. his assessment is spot on.