Author Topic: Blackburn Heavy Monoplane  (Read 18655 times)

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Blackburn Heavy Monoplane
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2015, 09:49:42 PM »
This just keeps getting better and better! I agree that it is a strange aircraft, but I love the combinations of textures and materials.

George

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »
How was putting the chain together ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »
It just gets better with every update.

Back when I was a lad, my Grandmother worked for direct descendants of Blackburn. I wish I had the photos they used to have hanging around the house.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline jknaus

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2015, 12:56:20 AM »
Just amazing work Des. Its so cool how you can take normal modeling substances and turn them into such a realistic replica. More and more I feel the need to try and do this arcane art of scratch building. Does that make you a good or bad influence?? lol.
Cant wait for the next update.
James

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »
I would like to thank Eric, George, Terri, Ken and James for your very kind and generous words.

Terri - The chain is very easy to assemble, tiny but quite easy to work with. Melting the little plastic pins to hold the link plates in place can be tricky but if the correct temperature is used is works beautifully, I experimented and found 187ºC to work really well and a very fine tipped iron.

James - I was very hesitant when I took my first leap into scratch building, it was the Voisin III, but I have not looked back since. I have built 8 (including the blackburn) to date and have thoroughly enjoyed each one, and I have built up a good collection of materials over a short period of time. I find collecting the data required to build a model is very fascinating, then scaling drawings and plans is always fun. I feel that the model manufacturers are missing out on a huge slice of the market by not producing kits of the wonderful pre-war machines.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Royston

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2015, 07:01:29 AM »
Des, i noted that at the base of each cylinder is a gasket, how are they made they look very nice.

Roy 

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2015, 07:06:47 AM »
Roy - I use Aeroclub 1:32 scale WW1 instrument bezels for the cylinder flanges, they just happen to be the exact size for the 3mm styrene rod I used for the cylinders.

Des.

Offline Royston

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2015, 07:16:54 AM »
Another item to add to my shopping list then, they look  8)
Thanks for the info

Roy

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2015, 07:58:58 PM »
You won't do better than the Aeroclub bezel set Roy, they are brilliant.

Just a small update, I made and fitted the "steering wheel" which involved a bulky frame which passes through a cut-out in the floor, apparently on the real aeroplane the steering wheel was actually from a car, the cane patio seat has also been fixed in position.

Des.

Offline radio

« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2015, 05:45:25 AM »
Des this is a stunning work.
Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2015, 06:20:06 AM »
Thank you Martin, your comments are always appreciated.

Des.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »
Des, this has to be the strangest looking aeroplane you have done
yet.  The one constant though, is your workmanship which is absolutely
lovely and I'm sure will create a silk purse out of this...well you know. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
Des, I think Ernie has really hit on the essence of your work. It is the constant quality you bring to the bench!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2015, 07:25:15 AM »
I have been away again and only just caught up with this one. Stunning is too mild a reaction - in fact any reaction would be too mild really….. I am left lost for words…….as usual.

Des I wholly agree with you about taking the plunge with scratch building/conversions. In an earlier incarnation as a modeller I regularly converted kits as the range then was much more limited than now. Since I have returned to modelling I have started scratch building too and find it infinitely more satisfying. I think the key is to try to overcome one's hesitation and fear of making a mistake. My conversions and scratch builds are far from perfect but they are respected by most other modellers and I enjoy making them - surely that is enough? I say to all reading this - if you have not given it a try then do so - it really is no more difficult that super detailing in many cases and it offers a whole new world which the kit manufacturers avoid - as Des demonstrates so ably.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2015, 08:04:24 AM »
Thanks very much Rick and LM for your very kind comments.

I fully agree with you LM, scratch building is enormously satisfying and allows modelers to create subjects completely neglected by main stream kit producers. I can honestly say that the 8 (one still being built) scratch models I have built have been so much more enjoyable than any kit build I have done, and a lot more gratifying once completed. I realise that scratch building is not for everyone but for those who would like to give it a go please do so, you won't be disappointed.

Des.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2015, 09:14:27 AM »
I completed the roller chain and added it to the model, the Model Factory Hiro P-941 chain set was a very easy kit to assemble and looks the part, if I ever need to use another roller chain somewhere this is the set I will use again. I engine has been fixed in position and the radiator pipes fitted, the fuel line from the fuel tank is also fitted.

Des.