Author Topic: Database of favourite paints for particular jobs?  (Read 892 times)

Offline GrahamB

Database of favourite paints for particular jobs?
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:33:16 AM »
Hi,

I was struck by a comment from Gisbod about not remembering what paints he used for doing the absolutely gorgeous 'wood' in his Felixstowe build (the best I have ever seen!) and have had the same lapse when starting another project - always saying "I will keep a notebook and record what I did". Queries about what paints to use (not necessarily the technique itself) often appear here. I wonder if we could build up a database (table) of modelers' favourite/most realistic/most successful paint choices for various items such as wood (by type: birch ply, spruce, mahogany, generic light, generic dark etc), rubber, leather (seats, coamings), primer/metal paints (British 'Admiralty' greys, German grey-greens, LVG grey-brown etc), linen etc.

It could be broken down by paint type (enamel or acrylic - this latter by alcohol-based (Tamiya, Gunze) or other (Vallejo, Misterkit, Citadel) etc - since modelers seem to have their preference for one or the other. I know that a start can be made by looking at WNW's suggestions or trawling through Ray Rimell's builds in Windsock, but it could be broadened out. I would be happy to build this up - either by PM to me or a post on the thread - although the latter could get a bit cluttered. It might give people a choice to experiment and find their own preference. It need not be a once-off but something that grows.

Yes, no, maybe?

Cheers,

GrahamB