Author Topic: Building Jigs  (Read 2064 times)

WarrenD

Building Jigs
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »
A good while back Aeroclub came out with a brass jig for building biplanes. I'm sure it's long since gone. I want to say that someone else had come out with another in the meantime, but I've forgotten who. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Warren

Offline Mark

Re: Building Jigs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
I posted the following in my build log for my Fokker D.VII F. There are pics of the jig there . . . it's transparent plastic, but sturdy:

"The jig/stand is the "Model Holder for Biplanes 1/32 and 1/24" from Vertigo Miniatures, www.vertigominiatures.com".

And a link to the stand itself: http://www.vertigo-miniatures.com/vertigo/eshop/15-1-VERTIGO-accessories/85-2-Holders/5/601-Holder-for-biplane-in-sclae-1-24-and-1-32

Mark G.

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
I got one of these a while back

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SRAMACC2

Haven't got round to actually using it yet. :-[
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:14:47 PM »
Krow, it was the Umm jig that I was thinking of, thanks!

Warren

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:56:04 PM »
Hi Warren

When I was at the Telford show back in November, I  joined a conversation  with the owner of  Aeroclub about the jig. The gist was that there are plans to release an improved version at a slightly increased price.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 12:54:06 AM »
  I got an Aeroclub Jig made up several years back (with longer lateral frame components to handle larger size or scale subjects) and have to say it's an excellent product. It's not necessary on many of the WNW subjects as their engineering handles the wing assembly challenge quite well but it certainly "saved my bacon" with several other Kits such as the Roden Nieuport 28 and their Alb. DIII. I also used it extensively on the Wingnut Brisfit. I'd not hesitate to go after Justin's if I were in the market, great product! (and no, I'm not affiliated with Aeroclub!) If they are coming back in business I'd even consider the "improved" version.
Cheers,
Lance

Kai

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
I've got the SRAM jig. Very simple, but does the job very well and pretty cheap.

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
Thanks all!  Lance, I've PM'd Justin about the jig. My primary interest is in 1/72nd, so no worries there.

Warren

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 02:18:47 PM »
Warren,
    The one caution with the Aeroclub Version is, being brass, it can scratch and abrade your finish if you don't take care. I merely slip a bit of paper towel or similar between the wing and the "rails" (and also the "hold downs". Works like a charm!
Cheers,
Lance

WarrenD

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the sage advice Lance. Noted.

Warren

Offline eclarson

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 12:14:45 AM »
After what I've seen here, I just ordered a UMM/JH Models Biplane Jig.  Looks like just the ticket for my WNW builds!

Cheers,
Eric

Offline eclarson

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I just listed my Aeroclub jig on eBay.  I've sold off my 1/48 biplane kits and will never use it. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201276334387

Cheers,
Eric